couple of T500 questions

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

87m6chris
Around the block

couple of T500 questions

Post by 87m6chris »

1975 T500
Previous owner welded the gear shift on to the shaft, I have ground off the weld and removed it. The shifter is salvageable but the shaft is pretty knarley. But the splines on the other side of the gear selector shaft are perfect. When I tear down the engine can I just turn the gear selector shaft over, that is 180*and make use of the good splines?

If I can find the complete PEI ignition from a GT500 is it just a matter of retro fitting the T500?

Thanks,
Chris
diamondj
Road race school

Re: couple of T500 questions

Post by diamondj »

87m6chris wrote:1975 T500
Previous owner welded the gear shift on to the shaft, I have ground off the weld and removed it. The shifter is salvageable but the shaft is pretty knarley. But the splines on the other side of the gear selector shaft are perfect. When I tear down the engine can I just turn the gear selector shaft over, that is 180*and make use of the good splines?

If I can find the complete PEI ignition from a GT500 is it just a matter of retro fitting the T500?

Thanks,
Chris
It might be possible to press off the selector from the shaft and press it onto the good side - I have never tried this so I can't be certain it would work.

The GT500 cases are cut differently to allow the PEI. You would have to machine the T500 cases to accept the PEI. So it is not a direct bolt in.

Jim
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

87m6chris wrote:If I can find the complete PEI ignition from a GT500 is it just a matter of retro fitting the T500?
The left end throw (12261-15001) of the crankshaft is different on the GT500. I'm not sure in what way it differs as I've never seen them side by side with a T500, but it is specific to just the 1976/1977 model years having the PEI ignition.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

The taper is different and the end is threaded for a nut to hold the rotor on with. The cases are also different in the alternator area as well as the crankcase vent area. Also there are no crankcase drain bolts.
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
87m6chris
Around the block

Post by 87m6chris »

Thanks guys,
my question about the PEI is result of simply not having gaped points or set timing in 30 years.
Can't say I'm looking forward to it.
Can anyone suggest a site or a manual where I can refresh my memory on how to do it properly?
Got to say this is a great site, some terrific knowledge here and nobody flames you for asking a dumb question.
Thanks again,
Chris
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Go to Ozebook.com for a T500 manual.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

There's a scan of the factory shop manual here: