GT500 gauges

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

wvc
To the on ramp

GT500 gauges

Post by wvc »

I'm trying to restore a set of GT500 gauges for my project bike, and looking for any tips. I have them all opened up (by carefully prying open the the metal ring around the back side). Does the needle just pull off? It seems to be stuck on good, and I didn't want to damage it, trying to remove it. Also, what are the methods others have used to recondition the face plates, and the rolling numbers. These have the blue faces, but look a little faded, and the red marks are faded as well. And the white numbers on the odometer / trip meter are yellowed. I want to try and make these look like new when they're done. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
76 GT500 - restoration project in work
4 other 76 GT500's
1.5 GT550's
4 GT380's
5 T500's (72-75 models)
4 GT750's

Suzuki GT hoarder...and a bad case of OBD.....(old bike disease)
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: GT500 gauges

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Hmmmm - if it were me, then I'd give Allan a call or PM him on this board (Suzsmokeyallan) to see what he can do .... you can check this board under 'Services', or go to his web site. He did good work for me - some photos are here. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
wvc
To the on ramp

Re: GT500 gauges

Post by wvc »

Thanks, but I'd like to try doing it myself if possible. They're not very complicated as far as disassembling them and cleaning them up, just looking for some tips. Surely others have restored their own gauges before. Thanks.

Doesn't Allen just do GT750 gauges anyway??
76 GT500 - restoration project in work
4 other 76 GT500's
1.5 GT550's
4 GT380's
5 T500's (72-75 models)
4 GT750's

Suzuki GT hoarder...and a bad case of OBD.....(old bike disease)