Suzuki GT380 a good bike?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

olds-455
On the street

Suzuki GT380 a good bike?

Post by olds-455 »

Hello, new to the site and look forward to geting into these bikes. Heres the deal, I love all 2 strokes and have never owned a street bike that was a 2 stroke. I have a chance to pick up a 1974 GT380 for what looks to be a good deal. Are these good bikes and are parts avaliable if needed? I was thing of maybe a cefe racer look if possable. What do you all think? Thanks
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: Suzuki GT380 a good bike?

Post by H2RICK »

Welcome Mr. Big Block !!

Of course it's a good bike. It's a Suzuki, isn't it ?? :mrgreen:
Just pulling your chain a little.
The 380 is a great bike and would make a very nice cafe bike....although you might have to search a while to find a good set of expansion chambers for it.
As to parts: used body parts are RELATIVELY easy to find because the 380 was the biggest volume GT triple produced with (apparently) over 100,000 made until the end of production somewhere about 1978 or 1979 (depending on which source you believe). Various bits show up on fleabay from time to time and the 380, 550 and 750 all share a fair number of common trim items, as well. It's amazing what you can still get from Suzuki, too. The aftermarket makes things like points and condensors, carb kits, brake shoes/pads, swingarm bushings, rear shocks, front fork seals, blah blah blah. Not bad for a bike that was last produced over 30 years ago.
A 380 cafe bike would make a nice winter project....if you can find one with low-ish mileage and a good engine/tranny. Everything else
can be easily replaced or refurbed with some wrench time and elbow grease on your part.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

+1 to what Rick said above ... they are a great bike, although I am somewhat biased, as you can tell from my username :)

In stock setup they are nice, if a little solid. However, ditching the stock exhaust system (which weighs 30+ pounds on its own) and adding expansion chambers makes a huge difference without needing any other mods.

Evidently Suzuki didn't use any of the exhaust know-how they paid Ernst Degner for, when he defected from MZ in the 60s. A decent set of chambers really perk up the motor and save a good 15 pounds weight.

Here's a pic of mine with its Allspeed chambers:

1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
olds-455
On the street

Post by olds-455 »

Im looking at one for a good winter project right now. The deal on it is the guy wants $275. Doesnt know much about it and it hasnt ben run in some time. Looks to be a complete bike.
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

If it "hasn't been run in some time" then you're looking at a parts bike basically, IMO.
You MIGHT get lucky....but then again, you might not.
If it IS complete and NOT all rusted and beat to hell AND turns over AND has decent
compression on all 3 cylinders, then $200 might not be a bad price, but....
keep in mind you are paying for a complete pig-in-a-poke when it comes to runability.
If it IS seized or has low compression or is missing pieces or is all rusted to buggery,
then it's only a parts bike and is worth $50 tops, IMO.
My .02 worth....
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
olds-455
On the street

Post by olds-455 »

Well, its complete, pinkslip, not rusted, been stored in the garage and turns over free.
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

OK, here is where your determination and wallet comes in. Since it has been sitting for so long a crank seal re-build is mandatory. That will probably be the biggest first expense. From there it will seem to nickel and dime you to death, but stick with it. In the end you will have a good reliable bike that you can take pride that YOU fixed it and have intimate knowledge of the whole bike. You will be able to tell by how it feels and sounds if there is a problem starting and what it takes to deal with it. You will have many years enjoying this bike, I have never ridden a triple, I have a GT500 right now, but Suzuki made their reputation for building very good bikes of all sizes, you can't go wrong unless the P.O. trashed somehow......
olds-455
On the street

Post by olds-455 »

I think im going to give it a go. thanks for the onfo. I will post pics when I get it.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

On the crank rebuild issue, a friend of mine is fanatical about his 380s, and has salvaged / restored dozens of them over the years.

He says none of the ones he's worked on has ever needed crank seals replacing, no matter how long they've been left standing / neglected. I'm a little sceptical but they all seem to run and ride well.

Good luck with the bike, there will inevitably be some niggles on the way but that's what we're all here for :wink: :)
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I think there is an over reaction on the crank seal issue. The chicken coop Buffalo I bought in Kansas had not run in 25 years and was seized up as well. One year later I had it running like a top AND it did not need crank seals.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

This is an interesting read by a fellow doing a GT380 restoration/rebuild in Toronto.

http://380blue.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

:shock: health/safety guy would have a field day there.
no guards,that hood of his if got caught by them belts :wth: :wth: no mask his lungs must be?????
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership