GT550 progress

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

debby
On the main road

GT550 progress

Post by debby »

Time for a progress report! :)

Things are progressing, although I haven't been spending a lot of time out there lately.

The carbs are cleaned out, assembled, and adjusted. There was quite a bit of scale buildup in the needle jet bores and that stuff did not want to come out. I finally got it cleaned up with a small round file. Now the needle jets fit properly. I need to get some new float bowl screws and some pieces of fuel line that fit, then I can assemble the carb rack.

Petcock is cleaned out and fitted with new seals. Tank is out getting painted and when it comes back (should be soon) I can test the petcock. I did not replace the little o-ring behind the diaphragm because the diaphragm was stuck to the body, so that may be a problem. We'll see soon.

I'm having the better of the two tanks repainted along with a good pair of sidepanels. They're going to be black with gold striping. I haven't decided if I want to buy the reproductiondecals.com '75 decals or just use some generic tape. The chrome is all good so the bike is going to look really good.

I bought a set of NOS points and condensers from PM so I'll put those in. Kokusan condensers are NLA and the points are expensive so that was a good purchase. As usual with PM, there was no communications at all from him, but he delivered the goods promptly.

I need to get the bike cleaned up too. Weather sucks around here lately so I'll probably take it to a drive-thru car wash one of these days.

Then I can do some assembly and see if it will run! I'm working with the Wyoming bike (the one that used to have the ugly green tank) and using the other one for parts.

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Way to go, Debby. It's good to hear that another 550 is being resurrected.
Pics when possible, please. :)
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
frappy
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500M, T250-II, GT750J

Re: GT550 progress

Post by frappy »

debby wrote:
I haven't decided if I want to buy the reproductiondecals.com '75 decals or just use some generic tape.

Debby
I'd use the Reproduction Decals product as "original" would be preferable to the vintage bike enthusiast if you ever decide to sell!!!
'75 - T500M
'72 - GT750J
'70 - T250-II