Some questions about a T500

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

87m6chris
Around the block

Some questions about a T500

Post by 87m6chris »

Hi, just picked up my first big two stroke, 1975 Suz T500. I'm looking for parts right now as the bike is a bit on the rough side.
The front shocks seem VERY loose and squishy, is there fork oil in there? I see a small phillips screw at the bottom of the fork that might be a drain plug?
On the right side of the engine very near the bottom and exactly in line with the foot peg
there is "something" coming out of the engine block that looks like it would take a lever like the
gear shift, kick start or brake pedal. But all of the things have their levers on them, haven't a clue what it is?
There is also a lever on the left side of the carbs that lifts and lowers plungers on both carbs,
is that the choke?

My older brother had a 72/T500 when I was kid and I can't wait to hear that sound again and smell that beautiful burning oil.

Thanks
Chris
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: Some questions about a T500

Post by Coyote »

I believe you are mising the brake pedal on the right. Yes the lever on the carbs is the choke.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
GreenMachine
On the main road

Post by GreenMachine »

The spindle on the right of the case is a provision for a right-foot shift, in case you traded your Manx Norton on a T500 and couldn't deal with the change!

There is fork oil in the tubes (or was!), 220cc of it. Fork seals are easy to do, I'd recommend it - My forks were full of dirt and gunk. The phillips screw you see is the drain plug.

The lever on the carbs is the choke - It's an enrichment circuit type, rather than an intake restriction like a regular choke.

I've just bought my first T500 (first two stroke as well) - it's a journey of discovery!

Post up any more questions you have

Nick
'71 T500R
'72 Plymouth Scamp

ColumnShift Media
87m6chris
Around the block

Post by 87m6chris »

GreenMachine wrote:The spindle on the right of the case is a provision for a right-foot shift, in case you traded your Manx Norton on a T500 and couldn't deal with the change!

There is fork oil in the tubes (or was!), 220cc of it. Fork seals are easy to do, I'd recommend it - My forks were full of dirt and gunk. The phillips screw you see is the drain plug.

The lever on the carbs is the choke - It's an enrichment circuit type, rather than an intake restriction like a regular choke.

I've just bought my first T500 (first two stroke as well) - it's a journey of discovery!

Post up any more questions you have

Nick
Thanks Nick, I'm there will be many more questions.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Welcome aboard gents,

A scan of the factory service manual is here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim