Thinking out loud...

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

I'll spend some time taking apart the RE5 tomorrow.

For now, progress. I made a bracket that will allow me to switch from this bodywork to the stock bodywork and back with little effort. The seat had to be sacrificed but as you can see in the photos, it was in poor shape anyway, no loss. I have a better pan for the stock bodywork set up.

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Tim, that just looks so 'right" for that bike. The tail piece works well with the modern suspension and wheels and looks a lot more "complete" than the old style OEM seat and fender.

Just thinking out loud, but would the 1100 tank and side covers work too?
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

I was thinking about a CB750F/900F/1100F tank would go with those lines if you could find one and make it work...just a thought.
Red Sloan
Around the block

Post by Red Sloan »

how about the chain guard ??????
Ride on even after it all over
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Thanks TZ. I don't have the tank and side covers for the GS. Well, I have one side cover and the headlight.

Tim, I have always liked the tank on the CB750/900/1100F. They have such fine lines. But, I don't have one of those either, and I'd be stepping on Dave a bit since that is what he did with his.

I trimmed up the seat....

It looks like I need to do some more trimming at the front

Red, if you need the chain guard from my RE5, make me an offer and it can be yours.

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Tim , here is what a GT looks like with the Honda 750 tank http://suzukidave.myphotos.cc/suzukidav ... nunder.jpg and you in the clear as i used a Honda V65 Sabre tank on the Yellow bike.
the older i get the faster i was
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Ah yes, I have seen that bike before. I like that bike. Nice as it is, I think I like the longer, more narrow, RE5 tank better. The RE5 tank is more squared off like the GS tail more so than the more round stock tank and the CB tank.

I think I'm sold on the RE5 and GS tail. It has become a bit more than a thought.
It will take a bit of work to cure it's case of chicken pox, but it won't be too bad. A couple coats of DP40 epoxy and a skim coat of polyester filler, and we'll be set for another Spectraflame color over Ditzler Big Flake. I'm thinking Royal blue with solid white inserts......

Jim, where are your tank and side covers? I have some bright red Spectraflame. Did you have it painted yet? I have my Dad's bike to paint as well as re-clearing my stock bodywork and then this RE5 tank and GS tail, one more set isn't going to hurt.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Tim, the seat/tail looks great. Excellent work!!! I think it'll all fit better with the rear tire than the stock fender did.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Thanks Lane, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I'm nearly to a point that I'm going to have to quit until I can come up with some cash. I may have to call in some favors I have hanging out there so I can finish it up. I could probably get the paint done if I knew a decent painter. 8) I wish I had a favor coming from an upholsterer. :D

It is going to work out pretty neat in that there will be storage under the seat now. I'm going to close up the bottom of the bracket I made with some sheet aluminum and have it follow under the inner fender. I should have enough room for a good sized tool roll and a sandwich! Do you all realize what that means to a guy my size? :shock: :D
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I know what you mean. I'm now 2300.00 into my 250 dollar H1!!!!

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

And don't ask how deep I'm already in with the "free" frame to use up surplus parts...
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Ogri wrote:Jim, where are your tank and side covers? I have some bright red Spectraflame. Did you have it painted yet? I have my Dad's bike to paint as well as re-clearing my stock bodywork and then this RE5 tank and GS tail, one more set isn't going to hurt.
Hey Tim,

D'oh!!!! I knew there was something motorcycle related I had forgotten! I wanted to get the tank coated inside before I sent it to you but I never had the combo of time and weather to do so. Then the old board went off-line and I forgot about it. It's just a T125 tank - no side covers. When do you need it by? Maybe I can find a radiator shop that will tank it and coat it nearby since it's too cold to fool with doing the POR-15 kit in the backyard...

Jim
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

As is normal for someone of Gordon's caliber, he has yet again over delivered. Thank you Gordon.

Jim, The faster I can get the tank, the more likely I'll be able to deliver it back to you by the meet at Deals Gap. I know that seems like a long way away, but remember I don't have a facility and am at the mercy of others for booth time.
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

Any progress on your dismantling Tim?
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

I'm sorry Tim, I have not gotten far. I have been traveling a lot here lately and have not taken the time.

And, I have a couple of gentlemen that have approached me about the bike as a whole. It would be nice to get rid of it in one shot, but, an extra bit of cash that parting would bring would be nice as well.