GT550 Oil Pump removal

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

macdogg
Still in the Driveway

GT550 Oil Pump removal

Post by macdogg »

Hey fairly new to the whole 2 stroke street bike scene but have have plenty of off road and snowmobiles. Which is what brings up the following question. Is it possible to block/remove the auto oil injection, and instead just run pre-mixed gas? I did this on my Snowmachine as I wanted to ensure what my mix rate was and so I was not relying on a machine that could fail? I am currently on the tear down of my 72' with the hopes of having it completed for spring riding. I am sure I will have more questions as the project goes on.
demozg1000
On the street

Re: GT550 Oil Pump removal

Post by demozg1000 »

The oil pumps last forever considering they are lubricated via clean oil at all times. I believe the cranks are not set up for running pre mix in stock condition. I bought a 75 gt750 that the PO removed the pump on and the crank is blown (seals I believe), I dont see the reason to remove it. I have 6 two strokes all with the pumps intact.
macdogg
Still in the Driveway

Post by macdogg »

Thanks for the info, I was just hoping to clean up the look of the bike by removing the "clutter" in that area. As a side note any idea as to what the widest front and rear tire can be while keeping the stock rim? Going with the cafe style so not worried about keeping the original style tires.
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

The oil pump is not clutter, it is needed. Besides injecting oil into the carb system, it also injects oil into each of the the three crank bearings. Premix can't do that. The bike will run on premix, but the crank bearings will not be lubed properly.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
macdogg
Still in the Driveway

Post by macdogg »

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear in stating I wanted to remove the oil resivor, and my way of thinking was to get rid of it as well as the iol pump. Thanks have deciede to keep it and try to see if I can find/make something more pleasant to the eyes in place of the plastic jug.