Wheels...

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

eithr
On the street

Wheels...

Post by eithr »

I really dig the look of a bike with the same size wheel front and back (diameter). Is it possible to just replace the front wheel on a GT380 with a wheel the same diamter as the rear or would I need to replace the whole front end assembly (fork and what not)?

I've heard a mod like this will improve handling. Is this true? Thoughts? I'm planning to swap the rear shocks with something a little stiffer and maybe a little taller than stock, so overall with the shocks and front wheel mods the bike would be pitched forward/down a bit. I'm used to how this affects a bicycle (ride road bikes and track bikes) - 'quicker' twitchier handling, a little more weight on my hands/wrists. Thoughts? Anyone with experience done something like this?
1976 Suzuki GT380A
1972 Honda CB350F
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: Wheels...

Post by Coyote »

I believe the Yamaha RD series used 18" front and back. I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to swap your 19" for one of those. Might have some caliper issues but should be easy enough. If you are serious about this mod, I'd do it before making any shock changes as it may turn out perfect just the way it is - without a tendency to over steer.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
eithr
On the street

Post by eithr »

Hmmm. I might have to go at this from the other direction. I definitely need to swap the rear shocks out; it's unavoidable. With the solo seat and license plate set-up that I swapped in place of the stock set-up, I bottom out the rear end all the time. I'll do the shocks first and see how it feels.

I was considering just pulling apart the front wheel and sending the hub to Buchanan's to build me a smaller diameter wheel, to match the rear. Probably more expensive than just sourcing a used RD wheel... but I was hoping then I wouldn't have to mess with the caliper fitment.
1976 Suzuki GT380A
1972 Honda CB350F
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

On one of mine, I re-laced the front into an 18" rim and I also added longer shocks. And dropped the forks through the triples by 20mm. I did measure the rake and it's smaller than I planned on, but I'm sure it'll be OK with a steering damper.

Rebuilding a wheel is pretty easy. Fortunately I had a spare rim already drilled for that size hub, but Buchanans can supply a drilled rim and spokes if you need to replace them.