Buffalo radiator mystery - J model

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Buffalo radiator mystery - J model

Post by MikeH1A »

I've just emptied the radiator and then gave it a bit of a flush until the fluid coming out was clear. Replaced the bung and then set about filling the thing up again. The plan was 50/50 of distilled water and coolant (for aluminium systems). According to the service manual the old girl takes a total of 4.5 litres. However ... I've put 3.5 litres in and the fluid is sitting right up by where the cap goes on. Whilst filling her up, the fluids slipped down nicely till about 2.5 litres went in and then I had to pour a small bit and wait for it to drain down and repeat this - was a slow process.

Anyhow, I've still theoretically got 1 litre to put in and no space to do it. Any ideas what's going on here ... or what I've done/not done?

Thanks for any advice.
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: Buffalo radiator mystery - J model

Post by Coyote »

Run the motor for 10+ minutes to be sure the thermostat has opened. It will probably take some more after that, but not all of it. It's kinda like an oil drain. Some always remains traped in pockets and recesses and in the overflow tank. Don't forget to add stop leak to your coolant solution. The correct amount is 70cc.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: Buffalo radiator mystery - J model

Post by MikeH1A »

Thanks for the advice. I shall try that this weekend. Appreciate the reminder about the stop leak additive.
Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A