GT550 Motor Mounts

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

BRP Tourer
Around the block

GT550 Motor Mounts

Post by BRP Tourer »

I am finally getting my GT550 sorted out and it is running great. Only problem is, I am getting a lot of vibration in the footpegs between 4000 and 5000 rpm. The engine seems to run smooth and strong, just the vibration is bad at times. I noticed when I had the engine out some of my mounts are pretty beat, and I didn't take care as to which one came out of where so that is probably the problem.
My Question... I seem to recall a post saying that the mounts for a GT750 will smooth out the vibes in a 550 better, but the listings I found all show the same mounts for a 550 and 750. Are there some different/better motor mounts for a 750 or should I just go with the OEM 550 mounts? I can't seem to find the post i am thinking of, perhaps someone was talking about GS mounts?
markj
To the on ramp

Re: GT550 Motor Mounts

Post by markj »

As far as I knew the mounts for the 550 and 750 were both the same.
So many Projects - So little time
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

My GT550L, which I bought new in 1974, always had a vibration in the footpegs at around 5000 RPM. I just thought it was normal. Then I broke an oil line to the left hand cylinder and didn't know it. Pulled the engine down, and found that I'd taken out the left connecting rod bearings. Before I pressed the crankshaft apart, I checked the runout. To my surprise it was .015"! Maximum allowed is .003". I replaced all the bearings and seals, and the left con rod. Pressed it back together and trued it to .002" runout. Guess what? No more vibration!! It could be that our crankshafts were both put together on the same Friday afternoon shift!!
BRP Tourer
Around the block

Post by BRP Tourer »

Hmmm, I had a cylinder fill up with gas over the winter and when I started it in the spring it hydrauliced and broke a piston. The rod and big end bearing appeared ok, so I only did the top end. Maybe it tweaked the crank? It was running about 1200 rpm when it let loose. I am going to try motor mounts first, hopefully that will help. I don't want to tear it down again, it has been in pieces too long. I wanna ride!!!!