New to Suzuki AND Two Strokes

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: New to Suzuki AND Two Strokes

Post by H2RICK »

I'm assuming Berrymans is a dip type cleaner ??
If so, I use the same kind of stuff called Gunk Hydro Seal II and it works fine, Scorch. You really don't have to heat it but it DOES work better if it's WARM. It doesn't work very well at temps below +20*C (+70*F).
I pour the cleaner from its original gallon can into one of those large metal cans that ground coffee comes in. This makes it VERY easy to put the carb body AND the little bits cup into the cleaner because there's lotsa room in the coffee can.
Disassemble the carb(s) completely, put the small bits/jets/etc in a little separate cup and then immerse both the carb body and the cup of bit in the cleaner in the coffee can. After this is all done, I take the coffee can full of cleaner and carb parts and set it out in the sun. This warms everything up nicely and helps the cleaning process without danger of fire/explosion.....and keeps the fumes out of your shed/garage/house. Leave everything for about an hour and then fish the body out with a chunk of wire and let it drain into the coffee can for a minute or so.
Thoroughly rinse the body in clean solvent and then blow out ALL the passages with 100 PSI compressed air. Same thing for all the small bits/jets.
Check all holes and passages by using a Mag Lite or the sun to see if everything looks clear. Reassemble, bench set idle position and air screw and you're ready to reinstall them on the bike.
You CAN leave the body and bits in the cleaner for as long as you want without any worries.....but why would you ?? The longest I've EVER had to leave ANY carb in the Gunk solution was 90 minutes....
and that carb was seriously skanky.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Thanks to the EPA, Berryman's ain't what it used to be. Doesn't do much of anything any more.
I have found that regular household Lime-Away does a good job of brightening the carb bodies and bowls.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
DrAwkwArD
On the street

Post by DrAwkwArD »

I'm in the process of taking the bike apart. I've got the rear disassembled so far. I've had a forum member call dibs on the tail light, all four blinkers and the gauges, but the airbox and side covers aren't claimed. I'll be taking pictures of everything in case anyone wants them.

I'll also be taking pics of tear down possibly tonight. Still have a lot of ideas floating around in my head. I want to mono shock it but can't figure out how to do it without extending the swingarm at least 4 inches for clearance...which I don't want to do. I have to sit down and look at everything. Also thinking of putting aftermarket rear shocks on...something similar to this:
http://www.formdbs.com/KRImages/Images% ... CT0493.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also thinking of doing a fork swap but I want to keep the narrowness of the OEM forks and the front rim. So there's gonna be a lot to think about. All opinions are welcome!!

Should I use this thread as my build thread or start another? What's typical with this forum?

EDIT: My buddy bought the parts bike from me for cheap and is building his alongside mine. Should be fun. We're both interested in aftermarket or OEM carbs though. I looked through this website that was provided earlier:
http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But can't make too much sense out of what I'm seeing. What models fit the 74 (frame sticker says mine and the parts bike is a 74) GT380? Just match the carb outlet diameter or something? Thanks again guys!
DrAwkwArD
On the street

Post by DrAwkwArD »

I guess I'll keep my build thread here.

Did some tear down tonight. Got everything off the bike without having to cut any wires or anything...took longer but it was worth it. I have most all the stock parts for sale, so if you need one of the take off bits let me know. I'm not using much if any of the original stuff. Next step is taking the motor out and cleaning it up. Then frame work and fabrication. Then who the heck knows what.

Here are some pics:

Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

All the baffles are missing in your pipes, sometimes the pipes falls apart inside and there is nothing left to hold the baffle. You going with a chamber?
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
DrAwkwArD
On the street

Post by DrAwkwArD »

Barry S. wrote:All the baffles are missing in your pipes, sometimes the pipes falls apart inside and there is nothing left to hold the baffle. You going with a chamber?
That was my plan. I don't know much about chambered exhausts but I figure this is a good way to figure it out! I still have a lot of research to do before I start it though.
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

if and when you go the chamber route "jemco" of houston make reasonable priced pipes.
cheers mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N