Got that sweet 2 stroke smell back in the garage

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

bikegeezer
On the main road

Got that sweet 2 stroke smell back in the garage

Post by bikegeezer »

But zero miles on it so far. Now, if you can believe it, I have to let the state test the tailpipe emissions before they'll renew my plate. So nice to have it running again.

Stu
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Stu,

Does that mean it has to meet 2008 emission standards or do they have 1976 standards to compare it to?

That's a bit of a worry.

Let us know how you get on please.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

From what I have heard, no state has (yet) failed to allow antique two-strokes to be operated, not even California.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

I've heard of vintage bikes failing emissions tests in AZ, but don't know about two strokes. I suppose it all depends on what they're testing for.

Good luck Stu! Let us know how it goes.

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
bikegeezer
On the main road

Post by bikegeezer »

They test for CO and HC. They allow 5% CO and 18,000 ppm HC for 2 strokes. I took it over there with 11 miles on the engine. It passed with 1.9% CO and 3870ppm HC. So I got my plate, and it's back on the road. :D
Debby, I've had 2-strokes fail here because the tester didn't know what 2-stroke meant. He thought I was telling him it was a 2 cylinder. Took a while to 'splain it to him, but it all worked out.
Stu
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I like South Carolina's emission testing. What's emission testing? We don't even have vehicle inspection! I like that.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Gordon
"Which one is not like the others?"

Post by Gordon »

Deleted
Last edited by Gordon on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bikegeezer
On the main road

Post by bikegeezer »

tz375 wrote:Stu,

Does that mean it has to meet 2008 emission standards or do they have 1976 standards to compare it to?
I think the bike only has to meet the standards that were in effect when it was manufactured. Funny thing though, the standards they list for my '76 Honda are the same as for my '02 Yamaha. So they must treat 4 strokes differently. The bike testing thing is a joke here. They used to make us ride the bikes on a dyno, but they stopped that after several jumped off and went into the wall. It's just an idle test now, and it costs us $19 a year. No testing required for vehicles made before 1967 or those that are registered outside the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas.

Stu