T500 steering stem bearings

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

netbikes
Around the block

T500 steering stem bearings

Post by netbikes »

Anyone know where I can get tapered bearing sets for t500, and is there other adjustments needed to fit them?
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
netbikes
Around the block

Re: T500 steering stem bearings

Post by netbikes »

Hi found an old topic on this forum dated 2008 about this thread, 3 pages of this and that, surely it can't be that hard, can it? , anyway one of the posts mentioned allballs and I have that catalogue here, GT500 bearings are available, so is the GT500 set up the same as T500, anyone know?
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Chris,

Debbie resolved the tapered stem bearing issue some time ago:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=614&p=78307&hilit=t ... ngs#p78307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The GT bearing sets WON'T fit as the lower bearing has an ID of 27 MM and all the T series bikes have a 30 MM lip for the lower bearing.

The Kawasaki H1/H2 bearings will work as a set for the T-500.

Jim
netbikes
Around the block

Post by netbikes »

thanks for that Jim, the KH500 bearing set is also listed in the All Balls catelogue, I'll get a set next week and give them a shot. I'll still fit the damper but of course it will just be for show now.
BTW the lower shoulder is removable, it is basically a tight fit sleeve, if you apply heat with a flame like oxy or gas gun it will almost fall off. I may actually do that and fit a full width sleeve so it matches the height of the lower bearing.

Just got my powder coating back this arvo and this is what I am up to so far.

Be a while before I can go much further, waiting on chrome bits and it won't be ready for about another 2 weeks and I am going away Sep12 for about 5 weeks.
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
GT500Andy
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, GT500A, TS400, V strom black rhino

Post by GT500Andy »

Hi Can you let us know how it goes with the KH500 bearings, I'm in the same situation.
:D Andy
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

netbikes wrote:BTW the lower shoulder is removable, it is basically a tight fit sleeve, if you apply heat with a flame like oxy or gas gun it will almost fall off.
Actually - thinking about it if the sleeve will come off and the resulting stem section is 27 MM then you could use the GT bearing set. I swear I remember the lower triple on the last T500 I pulled apart having the 30MM diameter as part of the lower triple clamp rather than being sleeved but obviously yours is different. You'll have to cut down the sleeve on the top nut or use a nut without the sleeve to use the 25 MM ID upper bearing though.

Jim
netbikes
Around the block

Post by netbikes »

GT500Andy wrote:Hi Can you let us know how it goes with the KH500 bearings, I'm in the same situation.
Hi Andy, the top nut is at the chromers so won't be able to fully complete the install but I should have some idea if it is going to work without it.
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
netbikes
Around the block

Post by netbikes »

diamondj wrote:
netbikes wrote:BTW the lower shoulder is removable, it is basically a tight fit sleeve, if you apply heat with a flame like oxy or gas gun it will almost fall off.
Actually - thinking about it if the sleeve will come off and the resulting stem section is 27 MM then you could use the GT bearing set. I swear I remember the lower triple on the last T500 I pulled apart having the 30MM diameter as part of the lower triple clamp rather than being sleeved but obviously yours is different. You'll have to cut down the sleeve on the top nut or use a nut without the sleeve to use the 25 MM ID upper bearing though.

Jim
You may find the surface under it a bit rough, the sleeve being as tight as it is may have torn at the surface while being pressed on in the factory, but may not and even if it is it may not make a difference, I'll stop now :?

OR, use another bearing with a slightly larger isd, here we go again :lol:
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
parksie
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki t500 69,71,73, Gt500 76

Post by parksie »

Jim's right. The Kawa H1/H2 tapered bearings fit the t500 perfectly. I've used them with no trouble, they slot straight in as a replacement.
1969 T500
1973 T500
1971 T500 (being restored)
1976 GT500 (being restored)
2012 Ninja 650
netbikes
Around the block

Post by netbikes »

GT500Andy wrote:Hi Can you let us know how it goes with the KH500 bearings, I'm in the same situation.
ordered the bearings today so should know for sure in a couple of days, however the consensus here is that thay will.
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

hi netbikes ,

A bit late as you just ordered but I bought a taper roller headstock kit from Crooks Suzuki, they fitted straight in.

Cheers Zunspec
netbikes
Around the block

Post by netbikes »

Zunspec4 wrote:hi netbikes ,

A bit late as you just ordered but I bought a taper roller headstock kit from Crooks Suzuki, they fitted straight in.

Cheers Zunspec
crooks is also about 12 thousands K for me too:-)
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
netbikes
Around the block

Post by netbikes »

Hi guys, I have updated my project page with the tapered bearing fitting.
http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php ... ge=72t500j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All went pretty well, noted that when fitting the original damper after, very little turning was needed before the neck got over stiff, but thinking I should not need it at all now hey?
Cheers....chris
www.netbikes.com.au
dinogt
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 500

Post by dinogt »

the good bearings for GT 500 is SSS250 so 25-48-16 and 27-48-14
blue smoke on the horizon
http://www.dinogt.fr
netbikes
Around the block