T350 hard starting and won't run on low RPM

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

dalorian
Still in the Driveway

T350 hard starting and won't run on low RPM

Post by dalorian »

I have a T350 that is hard staring and have to choke it to get it to start . I have cleaned the carbs till I am blue in the face all passages clear but the thing has about 100 PSI compression . It acts like it is running out of gas but will rev to 8 grand easily once it gets on the revs but when it runs down to lower rpms it just dies and acts like it runs out of gas . Plugs are wet and it smokes . Maybe it needs new rings ? or crank seals ? anyone with some real experience with this problem rather than just give me advice on the carbs being dirty ? thanks
cyclebuster
On the main road

Re: T350 hard starting and won't run on low RPM

Post by cyclebuster »

open the throttle and put your hand over the carb, and see if it sucks good on the kicker. it should have a fair pull.
if it has decent suction, your seals are likely useable. checked the intake boots? get it running and spray carb cleaner on the boots see if it revs.
let it idle way down as low as it can, and hold a gas soaked rag over the carbs. if it revs, i am betting your still not done in those carbs, you may have to do some cross driling to clean out that idle passage.
take a runbber tipped angled blow gun inside the carb near the inside end, and find the idle fuel passage. flip the carb upside down, remove the idle jet and fill the hole with carb cleaner. now blow into that tiny hole, and see if thee carb cleaner flies out, bubbles or does nothing. then do the same through the idle air screw. somewhere its likely plugged still.
Vintage High Performance Motorcycles of all types
dalorian
Still in the Driveway

Post by dalorian »

Hey thanks for giving me something to try out . I have worked on 2 strokes for years but can always learn something new. I tried the kicking while holding my hand over the carbs throat intake and cannot feel a whole lot of suction on either side. I have another 2 stroke that I can kind of compare but cannot get a whole lot of suction on the hands on this one . Maybe I can give a little better idea when I try the other bike . thanks
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

I have a T350. Twice after initial restore it would not idle. I would take the carbs of and clean the Idle jet. Your should have two brass type Idle jets per carb. The outer one (unique to this engine?) is suppose to help the engine not stall if throttle shut of real quick. Then there is the more "Regular" pilot jet under that one. Did you clean both? After the second time this happened (love taking carbs apart don't you?) I decided to added fuel filters (My tank is real clean too?). And, each time I really could not see any obvious dirt in Pilot circuitry? But this was the issue and Idles perfectly. Also the fuel filters did the trick for haven't had the issue since. Just wanted to tell you this just in case you are having the same issue i did.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),