putting decals on tank

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

smokin

putting decals on tank

Post by smokin »

I'm having the tank painted and I have to put the decals on the 1972 GT750 myself, is this hard to do? has anybody done this, what do I need to know about applying the decals or should I have a professional do this.

Smokin
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Re: putting decals on tank

Post by djfisher22 »

Here's something I posted on KTW a few years ago. Hope it helps...............

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/tips/decaltip.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
Scorch
Born to ride
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT380

Post by Scorch »

Hey smokin, question for you; which decals are you putting on your tank? I am getting mine repainted soon, was wondering if the pinstriping comes as one large piece.
Suzuki: '18 V-Strom 1000, '75 GT380, '85 Madura 1200
smokin

Post by smokin »

Thanks djfisher22 for the information, can you tell me how much time I have before the decal sets up?

Scorch, I got my decals from http://www.reproductiondecals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the decals look to be separate, 3 sheet each for each for side of the tank, looks like you could lay each section down without having to play with individual pinstrips.

Smokin
Scorch
Born to ride

Post by Scorch »

Does the stripe kit at Reproduction Decals have a big area of decal in the center of the stripes?

Hmmm.... see, I'm not sure if my '75 380 gas tank paint and stripe job is original. It looks like the decal consists of the stripes and the space in between (surrounded by red dots on the illustration below) ... is a big silver decal as well. It is a different shade than the top of the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

As long as you keep the decal and tank wet you can adjust as needed. Once you squeegie the water from under the decal you are finished. Any attempts to move it afterwards will result in you beating your wife and kids that evening so I wouldn't recommend trying. :wth:
2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
smokin

Post by smokin »

OK now I know, I'll see if I can find sombody first before I try it. Thanks for the help.

Scorch there is nothing between the pinstripe just white pinstriping, if there are two stripes that are next to each other then they are already spaced out on the sheet, so you can lay then both down a the same time.
Scorch
Born to ride

Post by Scorch »

Ok, thanks Smokin. Two stroke Brit looked at the bike last Sunday and said the same thing, it is not the factory paint job.

Can you post a hi res picture of your tank, so I can check the stripe location for my painter?

cheers
smokin

Post by smokin »

It's being painted in a few weeks and them it has to cure for at least 3-4 weeks, I found a decal guy to put the decals on so hopefully October, November.