2000 mile fun run

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

holysmoke
Around the block

2000 mile fun run

Post by holysmoke »

Fellow 2-strokers, (Sorry for the long post)
I just got back from a great ride. My best bud Bob rode out from NC on his Fat Boy and his girl on her 883. They're doing a coast to coast ride. So I had to jump in here at Tucson and join the ride.
It was a blast. Rode from Tucson to San Diego for the official put the feet in the Pacific ritual. Then it was off to Barstow to Flagstaff to Albuquerque to Sante Fe to Socorro and back to Tucson, around 2,000 miles in four days. We met up with JaMoo for breakfast. Great friends, great time.

This was my first long distance ride on the Buffalo. Some observations:
- The bike ran great, except for an unexplained loss of power on the first day. It was after running at 90 mph on the gauge (around 81 actual) for probably an hour. It was hot, around 105. The temp gauge was at the 3/4 mark, so it seemed to be okay temp wise. I was concerned that I might have hurt the engine, but checked the plugs and they were good. I did have to add some water, it did take some, hard to judge the amount out of a hose. Put some fresh gas in. Tightened down the battery, posts were a little loose. After that she was good to go. Anyone ever have that happen to them?
- Got between 30 and 36 mpg, depending on how hard we were hitting it. Most of the time we were running between 85 to 90 on the gauge.
- We were two up. This was our first long distance ride for Kim and I. She did great. I had to wake her up a couple of times when I felt her helmet pushing on the back of my helmet.
- They have some of the worst drivers in Albuquerque. Folks were racing on the freeway in town, cutting people off. We saw one accident when an exit backed up as those racing couldn't stop in time. They're nuts out there.
- A handful of times people would come by to admire the vintage bike. I even met a retired producer in Santa Fe who loved the bike. As Bob said, you could be sitting next to a $50,000 Harley and they'd just walk right by it to admire the Buffalo. Too funny.
- Ran both high test and standard gas. I couldn't tell a difference on the highway. The bike ran strong even with two up.
- Started with synthetic oil and transitioned to standard. The bike just kept clicking along.
- Southern California has the worst traffic... I think we spent a lifetime there one afternoon. The only good thing is that its legal to drive between cars there. Its still a long day splitting traffic.
- Hit a hard rain on I-40 near Albuquerque. It got deep in some spots, slowed down some and the bike did great. It never missed a beat.
All-in-all both man and machine did well. Kim and I are looking forward to our next trip, maybe riding out to Deals Gap next year. The Buffalo is designed and built well IMHO.
See ya,
Ron
Last edited by holysmoke on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official NRRC member.
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Re: 2000 mile fun run

Post by Cliff »

I just did a 2000 mile ride on my GT550L, from Toronto Can. to Deal's Gap and back in five days. She didn't like the American fuel! Too much ethanol in it. I had to retard the timing after the first tank of premium gas to run the Interstates. After I did that, she ran fine at 75 mph all day long!
Cliff.
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

great tales from you both.
the old suzukis are hard to kill :up: .
cheers mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

Where are the darn pics?????......... :lol:

It was great to see you guys, and gals! I warned you about Albuquerque drivers....lol. I forgot to get the locktite to Bob, hope he didn't lose anything.....

And that's a lot of miles, you did good! My long distance trips usually run 80 miles or so........ :P
Visiting from the "K" camp...........
h2okettle
On the main road

Post by h2okettle »

Ron I cannot believe that you and Cliff would take the chance like that and ride some old two stroke bike across the country, especially without adult supervision.. Ok, Ron you did, but you must have drugged her to go that far on an old bike.. Works for me when I get my wife to tour on the GT.. What is wrong with you guys ?? I am glad that you both made it back safely, but do not try something so silly like that again !! :up: Things like that are for "stupid" people to do, ( hey! I resemble that remark) :oops: I think you guys are way smarter than that.. But since you have already went and done it...Welcome to the NRRC.. Not Right Riders Club.. President being our own Jeff Gootblatt.

Allen..... GT rideaholic...... Also a member :shock:

PS... Congratulations !!
holysmoke
Around the block

Post by holysmoke »

Kim, Jodi and Bob in San Diego

Jodi, Bob, Kim and John in Albuquerque
Official NRRC member.
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Looks like a nice trip, thanks for the photos.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
holysmoke
Around the block

Post by holysmoke »

John, it was great seeing you too. We always have a great time when we get together. Sorry Lorraine wasn't feeling better.

Allen, you're right, I'm a deserving new member of the NRRC. Thanks for indoctrinating me, I'm honored. It might not be as crazy if you think about it. Yeah, newer bikes are probably more reliable, but when you take every bolt off a bike and replace all the wearable parts, you kind of get to know the machine and gain confidence in its condition, at least you know who to blame if anything fails...
Official NRRC member.
h2okettle
On the main road

Post by h2okettle »

Ron, of course new bikes are better/safer.. But as you know now the fun and adventure of riding an old bike cross country is much more fun.. Its something you can always talk about.. :up: I like the bags you have on your bike.. I have the same on a 75 goldwing..
Congratulations again and double that for your wife !! :clap:

Allen....... Still wasting CCI
holysmoke
Around the block

Post by holysmoke »

I like the bags too. I didn't realize how much till this trip, they worked great. What's the percentage breakdown on which of your bikes you ride these days? I know you've got the Buffalo, a triumph and now I know of the Goldwing. What's in the barn and how often and what type of riding do you like for each? Curious minds need to know...

Ron

h2okettle wrote:Ron, of course new bikes are better/safer.. But as you know now the fun and adventure of riding an old bike cross country is much more fun.. Its something you can always talk about.. :up: I like the bags you have on your bike.. I have the same on a 75 goldwing..
Congratulations again and double that for your wife !! :clap:

Allen....... Still wasting CCI
Official NRRC member.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Sounds like a nice trip. Glad you had fun.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

IRON BUTT! wish I had iron butt ....congrates on such a traveled distance.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
holysmoke
Around the block

Post by holysmoke »

Thanks butt it doesn't officially count for an iron butt ride. That's 1,000 in 24 hours, or 1,500 in 36. I did do an iron butt ride a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the Buffalo up then. I had just had my failed crank seal issue happen so I was forced to ride a buddy's Volusia. That was an adventure too.
johnakay wrote:IRON BUTT! wish I had iron butt ....congrates on such a traveled distance.
Official NRRC member.
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

johnakay wrote:IRON BUTT! wish I had iron butt ....congrates on such a traveled distance.
Don't think it's iron butt in my case. I've been sitting on the same seat for 36 years, almost 140,000 miles to date!! "Monkey Butt" now is just part of the ride.
Cliff!