Gearing

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Brett Kerby
On the street

Gearing

Post by Brett Kerby »

O.K, Thanks to you guys I found a place to get some new sprockets for my 73 Gt250. Now then I need advice on what to do with gearing to make my bike run better. Right now as one would suspect the 250 is a little doggie (yeah I know big suprise ) Im not looking for miracles but here is what I got. In high gear it will run 70mph at 4600 rpm's, but has a terrible time keeping it there and will not push the bike much faster even with a huge straightaway. In next gear down it will actually run 85mph at just about redline... So I feel like high gear is almost a wasted effort....Currently my sprockets are 14/41 and I was wondering if a 13 tooth front sprocket would make a happier environment for my engine or if some other combination might help. Any help is greatly appreciated....Thanks...Brett
Brett Kerby
On the street

stock gears

Post by Brett Kerby »

Stock gears are 14/41 according to my book. I am going by the numbers printed on the side of the sprockets and have not counted teeth, I assume this is accurate but will count them as well to be doubly sure.I wasnt real sure whether to go up on rear or down on the front, but it makes sense to go down on the front one to raise engine rpm. Should make it more fun around town as well.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Getting a larger rear sprocket would be better for chain life, but would also be more expensive than the 13-tooth front (assuming you can find one).

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........