GT550 carb question

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

debby
On the main road

GT550 carb question

Post by debby »

I've been going through the carbs on my 550 project. They're cleaning up nicely but I've run into a problem. I want to dip the carb bodies, but the left and center carbs have plastic fittings pressed into them for the vent hoses. I'm worried that the carb cleaner will eat the plastic, so I want to remove them before dipping. But they're stuck tight and I haven't been able to get them out. I can't use a lot of force because I'd break them, and I can't apply much heat or I'd melt them.

The carbs that came with the other 550 were junk, but the PO managed to remove the plastic fittings somehow. Those don't seem to be as tight as the ones I'm dealing with though.

Have you guys run into this, and what did you do about it? The carbys really need their Berrymans bath.

Debby and the Pathetic GTs
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I know Berryman's will kill rubber parts, but I'm not so sure about the plastic. Maybe you could warm the carb up enough with a hair dryer to get them out safely.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I ran mine through the Berryman's carb cleaner and it didn't harm the plastic fittings. No sweat. Dunk em!
bikegeezer
On the main road

Re: GT550 carb question

Post by bikegeezer »

debby wrote: Have you guys run into this, and what did you do about it? The carbys really need their Berrymans bath.

Debby and the Pathetic GTs
Find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner. The carbs will be cleaned better, and no worries about plastic or rubber parts being damaged.

Stu
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

So how does one go about finding one of these ultrasonic cleaning places? What do they charge?

A friend was telling me about using ultrasonic for gas tank derusting. Has anyone heard of that being done?

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

Coyote wrote:I ran mine through the Berryman's carb cleaner and it didn't harm the plastic fittings. No sweat. Dunk em!
I did, and no problems!

I have to order some more small parts, then I can put them together.

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N