During the ride home GT 500

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

gyrocfi
On the main road

During the ride home GT 500

Post by gyrocfi »

Left work for a nice ride home this evening, Nice crisp temps the suzie loves it, got a half mile down the road and it started to quit!! I swapped to reserve even though I only had 60 miles on the tank. It didnt help, Sooo swapped to Prime, the engine picked up and ran great!! Phewww things were okay basically BUT now Im thinking a bad petcock, Bummer. Then it dawned on me, I had been doing some fiddleing on stuff around the carbs including the vacume line. Pulled over and Woopppieee found the vacume line disconnected!! Duuuuu!

Rode the final 40 miles home totally enjoying the most beutiful sunset! Its pretty much dark when I get home of late. 5:30 is dark!

AND I finally met a guy in my area that does the 2 stroke thing. and he has a T 500! Dofin
77' RD400 Stock
77' RD400 work in progess
76' Suzuki GT500A Titan 2 of 'em
76' RD400 frame, 79' rd400 Daytona bottom 77' top, 75' rd350 wire wheels, Factory products pipes
96' Honda PC800 for towing my RDs
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I hate to admit it but I had just the opposite happen to me on my GS1000. The bike was in the street and I was getting ready to pull the tank to do some work. I cut the zip tie holding the line on the tank and pulled the line. Then I got distracted and was away from the bike for about an hour. When I got back, I decided to pull the bike up to the garage -- closer to the tools. I hopped on and fired it up, made a U turn and pulled in the drive. As soon as I stopped I was hit with the strong smell of fuel. Gasoline was pouring out of the petcock all over everything. It's amazing how much fuel passes through these things. Yes, I neglected to pull off the vacuum line. ------------------- :oops:
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Don't you love it when what appears to be a really big problem turns out to actually be just a little stupidity and cn be fixed in seconds. I once put the little insulating washers on the points on the wrong side of the connection wires on all three points, and then spent two hours trying to figure out why there was no spark. Duh..

Kevin
gyrocfi
On the main road

teacher

Post by gyrocfi »

There is no better teacher than experiance!! BUTTTTTT!!! :oops:
77' RD400 Stock
76' RD400 frame, 79' rd400 Daytona bottom 77' top, 75' rd350 wire wheels, Factory products pipes
cyclebuster
On the main road

Post by cyclebuster »

you have no idea how many bikes i have bought with the points wires shorted out due to inproper assembly!! Lost count!! i expect to see 3 more this coming season for certain.
Vintage High Performance Motorcycles of all types
Tom Brown
Still in the Driveway

Post by Tom Brown »

Point wires shorted out? Improper assembly? :shock:
I just replaced points :oops:
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

On my first Buffalo, during one of the early rides, the lights went out. ALl of the electrics went out, so I knew it blew the fuse. Sure enough, but did I have a fuse......of course not. I turned the lights off and connected the fuse clips to each other, and since I didn't see any smoke, I rode it home.

The fuse blew sometimes time I turned on the low beam, but the high beam was fine. I finally found that a screw had fallen onto the connector for the headlight bulb (which was missing it's rubber cover), and was laying on the contacts for the low beam. It didn't make good contact all the time, so the problem was intermittent. I had a picture of it, but it got lost in one of my hard-drive crashes, I guess. Yes, I insulated the contacts after that!

On Blueboy, something similar happened. I was about a mile from the house on its maiden voyage, and lost power. The fuse appeared to be good, so I pushed it home. Upon arriving at home I discovered that the fuse was in fact, bad, AND the original, spare fuse holder had a good fuse in it! DOH!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

rngdng wrote:Upon arriving at home I discovered that the fuse was in fact, bad, AND the original, spare fuse holder had a good fuse in it! DOH!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lane
Aint that always the way.......
So many Projects - So little time
Gordon
"Which one is not like the others?"

Post by Gordon »

Deleted
Last edited by Gordon on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Gordon wrote:At MY age, I've given up carrying a condom in my wallet, in favour of a spare fuse.....
But Gordon , isnt useing a fuse for a condom a little painfull :roll:
the older i get the faster i was
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Well now, things have taken a turn for the worse in the conversation, so a fuse huh, i hope its a cylindrical one and not a blade type as those look like they could hurt more......
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Well now, things have taken a turn for the worse in the conversation, so a fuse huh, i hope its a cylindrical one and not a blade type as those look like they could hurt more......
Maybe he meant cannon fuse...

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

GT Tim wrote:
Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Well now, things have taken a turn for the worse in the conversation, so a fuse huh, i hope its a cylindrical one and not a blade type as those look like they could hurt more......
Maybe he meant cannon fuse...

I heard it said that Gordon had a short fuse but i never knew thats what they ment :wink:
the older i get the faster i was
gyrocfi
On the main road

huuu

Post by gyrocfi »

:oops: :arrow: :shock: Im so confused??!!! :?:
77' RD400 Stock