turn signal woes

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

platesnscrews
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: t500 gt550

turn signal woes

Post by platesnscrews »

hi all i have a 1974 gt 550 the turn signals flash normal when bike issn't running. when bike is running turn sinals light up but don't blink does some what of a flicker open to suggestions

thank you
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Re: turn signal woes

Post by Cliff »

Where about in Canada are you? I'm in Whitby!!
Do the flashers work with the headlight on and off with the engine off?
With the engine running, do they flash at all, either left or right?
Could be as simple as a loose ground, and with the engine running, the vibration is enough to bugger up the flashers?
Do you have the ground wire from the frame to the top of the shroud?
Try running a temporary ground wire from one of the engine case bolts to the neg. battery post. Try the flashers with the engine running.
What is your battery voltage shut off, running at idle, and at 5000 RPM?
What bulbs are you using?
Is this something new that just happened?
Have you changed anything or done any work to her recently?
Pull the flasher unit out of the rubber holder and try your flashers. Could be the flasher unit itself. Maybe something has come loose inside and with the engine running not letting it work? Give it a shake! Anything loose or rattling inside??
My flashers stopped working once, about 15 years ago! I turned the flasher unit 90 degrees in it's holder and they've been working ever since!!
Cliff!
platesnscrews
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: t500 gt550

Re: turn signal woes

Post by platesnscrews »

platesnscrews wrote:hi all i have a 1974 gt 550 the turn signals flash normal when bike issn't running. when bike is running turn sinals light up but don't blink does some what of a flicker open to suggestions

thank you

hi cliff i live in bradford .thanks for the information . I put in a hid kit worked great thats when i noticed the signals whent for a crap changed to a 45 quartz halogen same thing i moved the flasher like you suggested and found a wire had come apart not from the flasher now they are working great. think i might put the hid back in. thanks for your help.my old smoker has 10475 miles on still has the original tool kit in frame with orginal pouch.

larry