Hagons for T500

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

debby
On the main road

Hagons for T500

Post by debby »

I have a set of the Paul Miller shocks on my T500. After riding with them a few times I'm ready to upgrade to a set of Hagons.

But what length?

The PM shocks are 295 mm eye to eye. Hagons are available in 10 mm increments, so my choices would be 290 or 300. Axle clearance with the left muffler is a concern but I think the 300's would fit. I'll have to check the clearance more closely tonight.

I'm thinking of going with the 300 mm length so I don't slow the steering down any more. I actually like how it feels with the 295's. 290's might make it a little too sluggish, seems to me.

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Debby,

The 300mm shocks *should* work but you'll need to check the clearance on your specific T500. I've seen it vary from bike to bike. You can sometime loosen the two muffler bolts on each side and get the mufflers 1 -2 mm lower if you need the clearance. Make sure the cotter pin on your rear axle is bent so that the ends don't dig into the left muffler!

Jim
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

I don't have a T500 but on my Gt550 I went with the 310mm Hagons and I am pleased with them.
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

Oops. I measured wrong. I didn't have the bike on the centerstand and didn't have full extension. The new shocks are 305 mm, the old ones were 295. The extra length helped the steering I'd say, but the Hagons will have to be 300 mm. I can't go to 310, the axle nut would be touching.

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Debby.
You will be impressed with the way the Hagons work as apposed to the OEM.
My Buffalo was a much better bike with the change. About all the originals do for you is hold the springs in place.IMHO. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

a bit late I know but you cannot beat Hagons for price and quality.
I had a pair on my old T500. brilliaaaaaaant :wink:
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
gyrocfi
On the main road

Chain

Post by gyrocfi »

One problem with stock muffers when using longer than stock shocks is chain adjustment. You have to take the left muffler off to get to the large nut with a box end wrench. It's a pain on the road using the OEM tool kit and Im on the road alot.

It isnt a problem with my after market expansion chambers, they are clear of the axle. Dofin
77' RD400 Stock
77' RD400 work in progess
76' Suzuki GT500A Titan 2 of 'em
76' RD400 frame, 79' rd400 Daytona bottom 77' top, 75' rd350 wire wheels, Factory products pipes
96' Honda PC800 for towing my RDs
husson73
On the main road

Post by husson73 »

have Hagon on my Kawasaki 69 H1 work great and cheap.
RG 500 owner since new, still well and alive
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

shocks

Post by rbond »

On my GT500, I replaced the stock with a pair of 12-1/2" from Parts-n-more. BIG waste of money and effort. The axle nut just touched the muffler, had to lower the forks about a 1/2" to compensate for the weird handling. Looked good, but even on the lowest setting, it was like riding an old hardtail bike. Two up was barely OK, still a little stiff, but better than OEM. However I ride one up most of the time. Still can't do Hagons yet, so I got a pair from Reproduction Decals. Just put them on, MUCH better ride on lowest, a little firmer on setting two. Have not tried two up yet. The Parts-n-more shocks came with an adjuster tool, the Repro's did not and the tool from P-N-M would not work. Guess what, the steering head wrench that one of our boardmember's make works perfectly. So far Repro's to me, are good moderately priced shocks. They may not be exact copies for T500's, but at least it will ride a little better until you can get Hagon's, etc.
gyrocfi
On the main road

shocks

Post by gyrocfi »

Were the Repro Decal shocks the correct length? Did you have the correct clearance from the lower shock mount and the exhaust??? I am also looking for the proper length shocks.

what good are expensive shocks if the run up against the exhaust?

Do the Hagons fit with no interferance.
77' RD400 Stock
76' RD400 frame, 79' rd400 Daytona bottom 77' top, 75' rd350 wire wheels, Factory products pipes
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

shocks

Post by rbond »

The Repro Decal shocks are the correct length, maybe a 1/4" longer....feel a little heavier than the OEM units. I am about 250lb., so far setting two is a little too stiff, one maybe best for one up riding. Gyrocfi, from a picture of you on the Miss. breakfast run, even on one these might still be too stiff, but don't take my word on it. With shipping to Louisiana from Canada, the shocks ran $120 and change. From the 'fitting' charts for Hagon's they have the correct length, it's picking spring rate that is confusing for me. I have not seen a chart for recommended spring rates for weight loads, so I am unsure what to pick.
gyrocfi
On the main road

shocks

Post by gyrocfi »

Thanks for the info on the Repo's. I ran the OEM shocks on my original new '76. I had a frame mount Windjammer fairing, saddle bags, luggage rack and loaded the thing down ALWAYS. sold it at 80K. I had no complaints but of course I didnt know any better, guess I still dont.

I would love the conveniance of being able to adjust the chain with out the hassel of taking the muffler off. guess its not all that much trouble BUT ya gotta concider the extra movement of the swing arm when you adjust the chain length. and I seem to have more chain stretch than everyone else?

Debb, sorry for Hi jacking your post!! :shock: Dofin
77' RD400 Stock
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Dofin, try using a ratcheting tie down on the swingarm and the frame under the seat to compress it enough to turn the axle nuts. Loosen it to adjust chain, then compress again to tighten nuts. I put a heavy duty chain from 'Parts Unlimited' on my GT500, very little stretch so far. I think it was rated at 8000 lbs tensile strength....I am not sure. But the one I picked was higher (tensile strength rating) than most, but not the most expensive. A good bang for the buck.