Back On The Road!

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

debby
On the main road

Back On The Road!

Post by debby »

I took my T500 out for a run today for the first time since last fall. :)

During the downtime it received new rear shocks (OEM replicas from PM), new tapered roller steering head bearings, new fuel lines and filters, and a complete front brake job. I found a shop in Denver called American Industrial Brake, that does all the same stuff VintageBrake does for a lot less money and a lot less time. They turned the drum, relined the shoes with modern material, and arced the shoes in. I also picked up a set of new sealed bearings for the front wheel and put those in. Oh, and I also fixed the neutral switch. It had been on all the time, which turned out to be caused by a pinched wire. DPO had gotten the lead wire from the neutral switch caught behind the stator, and when he tightened the screws down he cut through the insulation, resulting in a short and the light being on all the time. All good now though.

The bike started on the third kick and quickly settled into its usual 1500 rpm idle. So out it went for a test run. I need to go one size richer on the main jets, but otherwise it's running great. The front brake still needs to be adjusted properly (I'll have to get a helper for that) but it's already better than it was. And there's no more headshake! Amazing what having all of your bearing races can do for handling.

Here's a photo from today:

When I pulled into my driveway, I smelled fuel however. The carbs appeared to be leaking. It didn't take long to discover the cause:

Oops. :oops: I guess I forgot to tighten those screws down. Time for a nice new set of stainless allen head screws. I needed to take the carbs off to change the jets anyway.

It's great to have the bike back! Nothing like the sound of a two stroke street bike. 8)

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

The T500's looking very nice Debby :D and thanx for the tip on American Industrial Brake , do you have any contact info you could share ?
the older i get the faster i was
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Looking very nice indeed :D I expect it will be next spring before I get my GT500 running - lots of work on it still to be done.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !