Clutch/crank case questions

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Brett Kerby
On the street

Clutch/crank case questions

Post by Brett Kerby »

Got the bike opened up and have a few questions before I proceed. (73 gt250) I am working on changing the Right crank seal, and need to know where to find a clutch holding tool? Also do I need to keep all of the gears in some sort of alignment ie like on a Car engine there are alignment marks for the cam and crank gears??? And finally what is the best way to get the old seal out? Sorry for such simple questions but this is my first time :oops: :oops: ...Brett
Whit
On the main road

Post by Whit »

I used a piece of plywood for my T500. Don't know how to attach a picture to this note so I will send it to you in an email. ///Pat
1973 GT-750
1974 Yamaha 360 DT1
1998 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan
Whit
On the main road

Post by Whit »

1973 GT-750
1974 Yamaha 360 DT1
1998 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan
Brett Kerby
On the street

Plywood

Post by Brett Kerby »

Thanks Whit. Still a little confused on how that worked, did you use self tapping screws thru the smaller holes and then pulled up on the plywood? Or was the plywood how you got the seal back in? Thanks again...Brett
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I don't know how your 250 is set up, but if it's anything like the 550 you don't need a special tool for dealing with the clutch. The clutch primary gear meshes with the crank gear. Simply toss a rag between the two gears. Works fo both tightening and loosening.

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Brett Kerby
On the street

Duh!

Post by Brett Kerby »

Thanks coyote, that is so simple i feel just plain stoopid. That outta work.
Brett Kerby
On the street

Seal

Post by Brett Kerby »

Im down to the seal now, The rag trick didnt quite work out on the clutch but got it off using a thick screw driver wedged in between the hub and primary. Would still like to find a clutch hub sleeve holder thingy though cause I dont wanna screw nothing up. Anyhow just waiting on parts now....... :roll: :roll: Thanks for all the help so far fellas...BK
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Brett, take one of your steel plates, and grab it with a thin set of vise grips. Put the vise-grips between the clutch basket fingers, and there's your fancy tool.
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Brett Kerby
On the street

AHH-haa

Post by Brett Kerby »

That'll work for sure, thanks...... This board is awesome.....BK