Newtronics spark problem

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rOb

Newtronics spark problem

Post by rOb »

I just got my Newtronics electronic ignition hooked up on my t20 with the a gt250 engine, I had to hook bullet connectors on the coil and ignition wires, but other than that I am pretty sure that I hooked it up right, but I got very weak spark, like 1/10th the spark I had with points, Is this normal, has anyone ran into this? I am contemplating going back to points, but want to get some suggestions in case I missed something.

Is anyone running this system on a twin 500 or 250?
desmocat
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, TS250, B105P, GS250T

Post by desmocat »

I run a Newtronics on my T20 and T500. I've not had any problem with spark strength, for the electrical system I use the stock generator, a capacitor and a very small battery. I've succeessfully used the Newtronics in my race T500 for the past 5 seasons.
Ralph Spencer
Spencer Motoworks LLC
Southfield, MI USA
www.spencermotoworks.com
AHRMA #798
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Does the Newtronics give a fat spark when the engine is NOT running. i.e. just being turned over on the kickstart?

I had heard that Newtronics / Boyer like to see a good 12.5V or more, and with ignition ON but engine not running, battery voltage will be only just 12V or a little below.

Would that make any difference?
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
desmocat
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, TS250, B105P, GS250T

Post by desmocat »

On my race T500 I originally only used the generator (2 of the 3 charging circuits), voltage regulator, and a BatPak (battery eliminator). When turning the engine over slowly by hand you don't get much spark, but when you kick it over there's sufficient spart to fire cylinder. I added a 1.0Amp/hr battery just as insurance.

When I set timing I plug in a fully charged motorcycle battery; there's sufficient voltage to create a stong spark even when turning the engine over very slowly by had, like with a wrench on crank shaft end.
Ralph Spencer
Spencer Motoworks LLC
Southfield, MI USA
www.spencermotoworks.com
AHRMA #798