Look what I got for $10

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jaybob
To the on ramp

Look what I got for $10

Post by jaybob »

Well actually not $10. With shipping it was 30 but still a good deal.

So the previous owner of my GT550 told me that he put a new starter in it but the starter just spins and does not turn the engine over. So obviously it needs a new starter clutch.

Anyway I scored this the other day. Complete updated clutch hub and starter clutch assembly. Brand new old stock. The junk on it is paper dust from the packing.

doug rooney
To the on ramp

Post by doug rooney »

Can't beat that jaybob! Great deal.
Doug
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Nice score! My 75 had the typical exploded starter clutch in it when I bought it. Then one day I was cruising on ebay and someone was selling one from a 76. The new upgraded type. It was $39 on a buy it now. I bought it instantly.
The real pleasing part was when it arrived and I unpacked it. All of it was like new! Not even the slightest sign of the typical grooving on the clutch basket. Everything was there and in pristine condition. The entire setup now resides in RedZone and works perfectly.
If yours is anything like mine, there will be a lot of shrapnel to deal with. I picked out all I could find, then ran 10W oil for the first io miles and drained it. That flushed out some more. One of these days I'm gonna spend a few bucks on a magnetic drain plug. I am almost certain there is more in there but so far hasn't caused me any problems.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Jason, refer to GT26 found here http://www.3cyl.com/bulletins/index.html for proper assenbly. There are 7 pages on GT -- line 26.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Thanks Chris!!

It will be nice to have the button back. Although it is kinda vintage neato to use the kicker. But the kicker does rub a little on my pipes if I don't short stroke it.

This would explain the abundance of metal flake in the oil I changed the other day. Maybe I should make it a priority since I have the bike up and running again.

The electronic ignition I put in makes life easier it has started on the first kick everytime I have tried.
MikeG
Still in the Driveway

Post by MikeG »

Good score!
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Yep, Jason, that's the Deal Of The Month, IMO. I bought an NOS basket only for US$30.00 plus shipping about 2 years ago and considered myself fortunate. Ya done well.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer