Scotland to Spain and France on a GT380

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Scotland to Spain and France on a GT380

Post by sportston »

Hi folks,
Just thought you might be interested to know of my current travels. For anyone saying you can’t tour Europe on an old bike, I say, “Pah!” You can even do it on a 1975 Suzuki GT380😁.
Image This is Gita at the start of her journey south.
This is the story thus far, on my holiday:
On the first day I rode 430 miles from Airdrie (near Glasgow, Scotland) to Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex, England) for an overnight stop with family. By the time I arrived at 7:30pm, my butt was sore, my hands and wrists ached but the bike was running fine and hadn’t missed a beat despite a little rain. I thank NGK for making such great waterproof silicon rubber plug caps. In all the time I’ve used this bike it has never once misfired when wet. I did have one little hiccup when trying to keep up with a Tesla through the Essex country lanes I managed to scrape the right expansion chamber on the ground. This tore the exhaust wrap that I had fitted to make Gita a little quieter. I was able to blag some copper cable with which, in conjunction with cable ties, I was able to make a running repair (see pic below).
The next day I only travelled 41 miles to Dagenham (greater London) to visit friends. After less that 5 hours sleep, the following morning I left bright and early at 5:30am to cover 260 miles further to Plymouth. Arriving at the port around 11:30am, I checked in amongst the first bikes for the ferry bound to Santander, Spain. Image
Waiting to be loaded at Plymouth.
There were many bikers, but my 1975 GT380 was the oldest and smallest bike on the ferry by far. In fact she drew quite a bit of attention because of this.
The long ferry journey was a great way to relax and recuperate. I slept most of the journey. Yes, thats a lot of sleep, but I was knackered! I haven’t ridden so far for decades, so I wasn’t exactly match-fit.
Arriving at Santander the sun was shining and the weather was considerably warmer than old Blighty.
Once through passport control, I met my father with his 1988 BMW K75, whereupon we set our sights towards France and the Pyrenees. Image
Both bikes at the start of the Spanish leg of the journey.
Dad had travelled 640 miles from Estepona in the South of Spain to Santander via road on his bike, 500 of which he covered the previous day, before kipping in his tent in a lay-by for the night.
I must confess my heavily laden little GT was no match for the equally laden 750cc Beemer on the Spanish motorways. The standard gearing is a bit too high, so I was regularly dancing the left-foot-fandango on the gear lever in an effort to keep up with much more docile and powerful 4-stroke triple.
After 40 miles of uneventful cruising we stopped at Santona as it looked like a nice place to find a hotel. Which we did; a lovely little Hostel by a natural bay with a fine sandy beach.

It hadn’t taken me too long to get used to riding on the other side of the road, so the next day I determined to take the lead some of the way. My trusty bike satnav, “Gavin the Garmin”, giving me the confidence that I would not get lost and would know what speed I was travelling at. The GT speedo needle had started bouncing up and down like one of the old barriers at the Dartford Crossing during rush-hour. It told me I was doing some speed between 70 and 90 mph, but couldn’t be more specific. Thank goodness for GPS devices!😃
After tostada and coffee for breakfast we pushed on towards Candanchu. The weather was not in our favour and it wasn’t long before the heavens opened in a half-hearted attempt to clean our bikes for us. By the time we made our first comfort stop, we were soaked through to our undies. We sat in our soggy trousers sipping our coffee and eating more tostada. We had already identified one problem with our journey; the GT needed refuelling about every 90 miles, while the Beemer could easily go at least 150 miles without needing its thirst quenched. Dad had to get used to me regularly telling him we needed to stop before he was expecting to.
I had anticipated that he would need to exercise patience on my behalf, so had previously equipped myself with a peace offering given through his olfactory nerve endings. When stuck behind an old 2-stroke, the smell of freshly burnt castor oil is enough to placate any frustrated petrol head! I had brought one litre of the stuff purely so I could drop a couple of capfuls in each time I filled up. Dad seemed to think this was a jolly good idea, as I knew he would😄.
Synthetic oil still did the heavy work of lubricating everything via the CCI system. Just in case anyone wondered…no, I didn’t put any castor oil through the injection system. I had heard some years ago that it can sometimes react with other oils and turn to jelly, thus clogging the oil injection system. This is definitely not something I wanted to experience!
As we pressed on, the scenery changed and so did the roads. Much more greenery welcomed us and despite the mountain roads being wet, we had a most spirited and fun ride to the pre-booked hotel. Things were looking up. I can honestly say that I have never had as much fun in the rain as I did that day. Our pace was hardly that of a GP-rider but the front end of the GT was rock solid; her new Bridgestone BT46s gripping the road like limpets. I can’t say I have ever had such confidence in the front of any other bike. I was pleasantly surprised at this, as I hadn’t had much confidence in the handling of my bike before. Perhaps the steering damper I fitted prior to leaving Scotland added to this newfound stability, but I couldn’t say for sure. All I know is that I had complete confidence in pushing my bike through sharp wet hairpins up and down steep hills.

The sound of the noisy 2-stroke engine crisply crackling and wailing through the mountains was heavenly. It must have caught the attention of another biker who had stopped to take a pic of the beautiful scenery. He videoed the bike, panning across as I wailed past. I was also surprised that I was able to easily lose Dad through the twisty sections of the mountain roads. Who knew a GT380 was more nimble than a BMW?😮 I certainly wasn’t riding anywhere near the limit, but fell into a good steady rhythmic repetition of turn-point-squirt. I adopted the attitude that any bend I couldn’t see round was likely to be a tightening hairpin. It was a sensible precaution, as this often turned out to be the case.
Disappointingly, as we approached yet another wonderful hairpin, our hotel came into view. It was a gorgeous old ski lodge that obviously had a rich history, and was only unwelcome because it meant cutting short a fantastic ride.
The receptionist welcomed us and told us we could park our bikes in the garage beneath the hotel for free. Considering car drivers have to pay for this privilege, we were pretty chuffed. We had traveled 230 miles that day, endured unpleasant weather on varied roads, but the view from the Candanchu hotel balcony was worth it.
More of the adventure to follow; stay tuned for the next instalment.
Last edited by sportston on Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:27 am, edited 14 times in total.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Scotland to Spain on a GT380

Post by Alan H »

Excellent 'tale'! Keep on keeping on!!! :clap:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer

Re: Scotland to Spain on a GT380

Post by sportston »

I’m now posting pics. It took a while but I worked out how to so it. I’d forgotten 🙄
sportston
Expert racer

Re: Scotland to Spain and France on a GT380

Post by sportston »

sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Leaving Candanchu the following morning we pointed our bikes towards Luz-Saint Sauver, France. Travelling on more gorgeous mountain roads again we passed through the Valle D’Ossau (Valley of the Bears), the Col D’Aubisque, and the Col Du Soulour. We didn’t see any bears but we did meet a few free roaming sheep and cows who did not seem even slightly intimidated by my noisy GT and only reluctantly moved aside to let us pass.
We stopped for coffee and myrtle berry (blueberry) waffles with Chantilly cream at the Col Du Soulour (1474m altitude). Yummy!
It was at this point that I suspected my phone was not being charged (more about that later). Rejuvenated, we moved on with Gita and I taking the lead, her noisy screams no doubt heard for miles throughout the various valleys we passed through.
As I came wailing around one blind bend I was greeted by the sight of a small flock of sheep on the road. Most of them gently sauntered away but one had found a nice spot of tarmac to sit on and was not going to relinquish it. She stared at me with an expression of disdain, as if to say, “I was here a long time before you pal. You move!”
She followed me with her eyes as I slowly rode past, thinking, “What a strange sheep!”
I believe there may be something in the air up there, because only a mile later I repeated the exact same pantomime with a llama. Yes, there was a group of llamas! I didn’t know they had any in the Pyrenees, but there is no doubt in my mind about it now. I’m not sure if it’s the long neck or differently shaped face, but this llama appeared to say exactly the same as the sheep, but with a lot more attitude. No way was her butt going to move off the asphalt, no matter how long I waited. Another slow pass followed. It wouldn’t have surprised me if she spat at me as I rode away, but I couldn’t see.
Our last stop for fuel for the day. What a pretty site for a petrol station😃.
Our glorious and spirited ride through the twisties eventually ended as we approached the town border of Luz-Saint Sauveur.
Our pre-booked tent was already set up and fully equipped so after unloading we had a shower to cool off and went to get some grub from one of the cafes in the town square.
Both our bikes having a well-earned rest by the tent after a good days ride.
After our meal, I decided to check my USB port. As I suspected it was no longer charging my phone or my spare earpiece. Once disassembled it became obvious that one of its capacitors had gone bang. There was paper and metal strip everywhere inside the casing along with a little water damage on the circuit-board.
I’m fairly sure this was my fault. In order to make room for my new satnav cradle I had moved the USB sockets to a position that allowed water ingress when in use during the rain.
This was obviously a stupid place to put it!
We decided that we would travel to Tarbes the next day where we may find a bike shop that sold a replacement.
Last edited by sportston on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Love the story narration and the pics! Are you still on this trip or have you returned? Have fun!
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Evans Ward wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:50 am Love the story narration and the pics! Are you still on this trip or have you returned? Have fun!
Thanks. I just edited and added a few more pics. Yes I am still on the trip. As I write now, La Vuelta de Espana bicycle race is passing our campsite.Image I thought it was the Tour De France, but Dad says it’s La Vuelta😂
Chairman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1971 T350

Post by Chairman »

Top Man, I might try it on my old T350 next year. Hat's off my man. :clap:
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Brave man Sporty, well done !
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

Looks like a great trip with your dad! I enjoyed the colorful stories.

The GT is still my favorite bike to travel with - surprisingly comfortable and the chambers add a lot to the overall experience.

Thanks for posting this.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Sorry I never got to finish the story. What with personal issues and the loss of my phone, I never got around to it.
Sadly, our family suffered a bereavement partway through our holiday.
Since my return I have got married again, moved house again, and rebuilt my shed… again. Life has been so busy I’ve barely had time to breathe.
I’m afraid that, partly due to the loss of my phone, and partly because I hadn’t shelled out the extra money to Apple to have sufficient backup capacity, I have no more pictures to add to this post. But I can give you a brief resume of the rest of our holiday and return journey:

After riding into Tarbes we found a bike shop hoping they would be able to supply a replacement USB port. They had recently sold out, but they gave us directions to a local Kawasaki dealership that would most likely help us. Their directions were spot-on and 10 minutes later we were dismounting in front of a very nicely presented bike shop. The manager in the shop was very nice and directed us to the right part immediately. Dad started chatting in French and told him where we had come from and what bikes we were on. He couldn’t believe I had ridden a 1975 GT380 from Scotland and came outside to have a look. I was most flattered when he asked us to wait while he rounded up the rest of workers (including mechanics) so they could all look at my old 2-stroke and hear it running. Little Gita, must have felt like motorcycle royalty😁.
After pizza at a local cafe, we travelled on taking in some different scenery on our way back to camp. That evening I set to work replacing the USB port. This time, I fitted it under the seat, where it was unlikely to suffer from water ingress. It was then that I made my mistake; whilst routing the cable I accidentally snapped off one of the wires to the rectifier🤦‍♂️. Though I was annoyed at myself, I wasn’t overly bothered as I had brought with me a brand new modern solid-state replacement combined regulator/rectifier unit (The amount of spares I had brought would have allowed me to cover most eventualities including a top-end rebuild). After rapidly fitting the replacement unit I started the bike and checked the voltage… my multimeter showed battery voltage only, no charging. At this point I was rather miffed. This was the second regulator/rectifier that had failed on me! With a little lateral thinking the solution presented itself. Why replace the regulator, when all I needed was a rectifier?
I unplugged the regulator side of the solid-state unit and plugged the original Suzuki regulator back into the loom, but left the rectifier side of the solid-state unit plugged in. After restarting, the battery showed a healthy charging voltage again. Woohoo! Good old trusty cable ties were used to hold the new unit behind the side panel.
After that, I haven’t touched the charging system and it is still working fine to this day.
We stopped at Biarritz on the way back to Santander had some more nice food and then parted ways at the port.
The ferry was packed with bikers, about 200 bikes! Mine was the oldest, but an honourable mention must be made for the guy with an early eighties Moto-Morini motocross style bike. His ride hadn’t been without problems and his bike was running on one and a half cylinders, but he was quite confident that it would get him home even if it dropped down to one pot working. I hope he made it safely.
A lot of the bikers on the ferry were on the same outward journey as myself, so we were able to catch up and swap stories. Not everyone on the outward ferry made it safely to the return journey. Some had been unfortunate enough to inspect the tarmac at close quarters. One was still in hospital, and another was flying back after wrecking his bike. It goes to show that even if you have a big modern tough adventure bike you can still be vulnerable.
The ferry journey was a little longer than expected due to a passenger needing emergency airlifting to hospital, after being taken ill.
It was late afternoon when we arrived at Plymouth. Some of the other bikers were quite surprised that I planned to ride through the night back home to Scotland. It was only 400 miles or so. Gita, didn’t mind the much cooler British air and the journey home would have been uneventful, apart from three things: the difficulty in finding petrol stations that were open that late at night when I needed them; a strange noise coming from the front of the bike; losing my phone and cash on the M6 motorway.
Moral of the story: if you keep your phone in the top pocket of your tank bag, don’t forget to zip it up😬. I realised my mistake a few seconds after I felt it bounce off my hip in the darkness. I pulled over, walked back half a mile and searched for it with my head-torch but it was in a black case, on black tarmac on a moonless night. I eventually have up looking and wrote off the phone and the £60 that was in its case as a loss. There is no way I was going to safely walk up the central reservation looking for it!
Other than that, and an increasingly over-reading speedo, the journey went well and I safely made it home and into the arms of my fiancé at 7am.
You are probably wondering what the strange noise from the front of the bike was. I eventually traced it to the speedo. Presumably the bearings had run dry. At some point I will send it off to be repaired. For now, after removing the speedo cable, I’m using the Satnav gps to tell me how fast I am going.

Considering the length of journey and age of machine, I would say it had been reliable and capable. The only two main faults were caused by myself.
So, if anyone says you can’t go touring on an old GT380, you can say with certainty, “Oh yes, you can!”😁
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Great tale and an excellent read.
The main thing about Suzy triples is to run them regularly - a few short journeys every year isn't what they were designed for.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.