GT380 Headlight Bucket Wiring

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Tripleking
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380, T250, GSX750F

GT380 Headlight Bucket Wiring

Post by Tripleking »

Ok. I have the new headlight bucket on my GT380 and, as far as I can tell, I has all the connections correct verified by color. However, now I have no headlights, tail light or gauge lights. Turn signals work fine. I had them before. What might I have wrong?

I think it has something to do with the orange wires and brown wires with are connected via bullet connectors. Also, there are two sets of square connectors each with the same colored wires. I tried swapping them, but it makes no difference.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT380 Headlight Bucket Wiring

Post by Alan H »

Just ensure that the wire connectors are clean and really do go colour to colour and follow on as the wiring for that particular model. Suzuki, in their infinite wisdom, changed wiring harnesses on a model by model yearly basis and (say) a 1975 front harness will not work with a 1976 rear harness as the colours don't all tally at the square multiconnectors. Make sure all earths 'work' as powder coat is an excellent insulator.
Dig out the multimeter and start checking every connector - including the main fuse carrier & fuse - I've had fun with Suzuki wiring for several restos/rebuilds and I worked as electrician/electrical engineer for 50 years before retiring.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Also check the multi-wire connectors. One of the wires have backed out of the connector.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

first of all headlight. main beam is a yellow wire. dip beam is a white wire - both from the left hand switch. the backlights in the tacho and speedo are fed by the grey wire. rear light is fed by the brown wire. as said before, check all connectors for good contact. if you need any more help, just ask, it's what we're here for :D
cheers, dd.
p.s. the orange wire anywhere on the bike is live AFTER the ignition is switched on. and red is ALWAYS live.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.