Suzuki GT250L Right cylinder whoas

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Weenman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 gt250

Suzuki GT250L Right cylinder whoas

Post by Weenman »

Hi all, new member here. I'm going to try to not make this a wall of text, but no promises :)
I recently picked up a 1974 GT250. So far I have:
-New battery
-New condenser/points
-Points gap set
-Ignition timed
-Carbs rebuilt
-High flow airbox
-Check compression (~115psi)
I'm sure there stuff I'm forgetting. I'm having an issue with with my right cylinder not running right. Its not get nearly as hot as the left cylinder and sounds like its not firing every cycle. The left cylinder have a very steady "pop pop pop" while the right one will be "pop pop *nothing* *nothing* pop". Hope that made sense. There are noticeably more oil droplets being sprayed out from the right exhaust, and it'll bog pretty badly when trying to rev the motor.
I've checked my coils and wires, swapped them while running and no change. I'm still leaning toward timing being an issue, but I've triple checked the timing and everything seems spot on. One thing to note with the timing, however, is that I'm pretty much maxed out on the timing plate. The left cylinder was so maxed out that I had to open the points gap to .018" to get the timing in the right area. Same for the right one.
To me, it feels like a misfire rather than running lean. I know I'm a bit lean because of the custom airbox, but the left cylinder is running okay so I can't imagine its that off.
Any other ideas where I might want to look? Any ideas on why my timing plate is maxed out? Thanks in advance!
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Suzuki GT250L Right cylinder whoas

Post by karl pa »

Welcome to the forum
What method are you setting the timing?
Are the pipes clear and not blocked?
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
Weenman
Still in the Driveway

Post by Weenman »

karl pa wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:40 pm Welcome to the forum
What method are you setting the timing?
Are the pipes clear and not blocked?
Using a dial indicator to measure ~.115" from TDC and multimeter on the points to measure resistance.
Pipes are decent. There is some carbon build up and I did plan on cleaning them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

Do you have a good blue spark on plugs? Switch plugs from one side to other and see if issue follows plug, use contact cleaner and clean paper run through contact points to make sure no dirt or film on contacts.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
Weenman
Still in the Driveway

Post by Weenman »

karl pa wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:45 pm Do you have a good blue spark on plugs? Switch plugs from one side to other and see if issue follows plug, use contact cleaner and clean paper run through contact points to make sure no dirt or film on contacts.
Issue doesn't follow the plug or plug cap. One thing I noticed is one of the plug caps had a crazy high resistance (mega ohms) but again, didn't follow when I switched the plug caps around. I also have resistor plugs which I just found out is a no no when running resistor caps. Non-resistor caps are on the way.