voltage regulator for GT500

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

voltage regulator for GT500

Post by rbond »

I had an electrical problem last friday. A double ended crimp joint to the positive terminal on the battery, let go. Battery was almost bone dry, refilled with distilled water and put it on a trickle charger all day. Lost my lights unless engine was running, blew the fuse too. Anyway, checked rectifier, it was good, checked voltage at the battery, volts kept going up as engine speed increased. Went as far as 16 volts with no sign of control. I had gotten a rectifier and regulator from electrex in england hoping that would forever cure any problems there. Did not happen. Tried a used OEM I got from Paul Milller (was supposed to be NOS). Suprise, it did no better. So, I have contacted Phil C on jolly old England to see if he can work his magic on reverse engineering the regulator, like he did for the CDI. Once I get that tested and mounted in a permanent manner, I will post the schematics for both units. The guy in Oregon has a combo regulator/rectifier now for $89.99. I expect the regulator to cost about $20.00, the CDI cost me $60.00 to build. OEM CDI costs about $252.00 and the regulator is NLA. I found a rectifier that I think will work from Radioshack for $3.28. Once the regulator is tested, I will test the RS rectifier as an alternative source for that. Ain't this FUN??????