Gt550 idle issues

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Kevgt550
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1977 GT550

Gt550 idle issues

Post by Kevgt550 »

Hey guys. First post here, but I’ve been on here a ton looking for resources. Wanted to throw my story out and see if anyone has some suggestions. Bike was running for a year, a little rough but i just wanted to get my first bike on the road. It’s a 77 gt550 US model, basically all original other than maintenance items.

The carbs were done with the best kit i could find, but it has #98 main Jets on all 3 and did before as well (the only thing out of spec as far as i know, should be 95L&R, 97.5C)
Pilots have been cleaned and are the original #25.
float height: about 15.75mm as best i could.
I thought issue was the slide height which i never changed, just brought up the throttle adjustment screw until it idled before.
Now the clearance is 1mm on the side going into the engine.
I did have an issue with the choke jet and cleaned that out and it is good now. After bringing the slide height to spec it starts and runs better than i have ever had it, but it seems to be too lean. Messing with the air screws only helped it die quicker.
Reason i say it is too lean is that after about a minute it will slowly lose RPM until it cuts off the engine, or when i brought the throttle screw up just a tiny bit, it slowly gained RPM until about 2k RPM then stopped about there, all while the throttle was not touched and screw not moved. And this was with a warmed up engine.
Also: Spark plugs are new, tested the firing of the plug wires and they fire Consistently. After some running, plugs are a light brown and dry.
My current instinct is telling me to try a #27.5 pilot jet. Reason I’m not worried about the main Jets being a bit different is that the idle is what gives me issues. I want to see if anyone has some wisdom. I’ll try to attach the specs to reference.
I would take it to a good mechanic at this point but i have no clue if any of them are any better than me on my guessing game hunt, since i have not found someone well versed on 2 stroke triples around me by chicago. I’m young but very mechanically inclined, I just don’t have the experience, never rode a motorcycle until this one, never seen another one of these, most of the resources are on UK bikes, and i have no idea what a 2 stroke 3 cylinder should sound or feel like when perfected.
Good news is: it was free after sitting in my grandpas garage for 20 years.
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Gt550 idle issues

Post by karl pa »

Welcome to the forum.
I am not very good with carburation, others are much better than I am. couple thoughts I have are, many don't like rebuild kits, they use mukuni jets. Another suspect is air leaks on carb boots, you can spray carb cleaner on boots and carbs while running and see if engine rpm changes.
Are you running stock airbox with good filter? Pods filters can give lean issues with jetting.
Is timing set correctly?
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

if it's been sitting for 20 years i'd suspect the crank seals being a tad hard :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Kevgt550
On the street

Post by Kevgt550 »

To Karl, it has all stock air box and new filters. Timing is good. I did not suspect a boot leak but i will be using your tip to check that.

Dolly dog, I don’t doubt that you’re right, sitting is never good. I did have it running for a year just fine so I’m hoping it’s not an internal issue. If i need to pull the motor to do crank seals, then selling might have to be an option with how much i would spend for an engine refresh. Trying to cover all other bases first

Thank you both for the replies
Harrymail
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Currently looking

Post by Harrymail »

There is a member on the forum called Teazer who I am sure is in Chicago. He may be able to help you. He's certainly very knowledgeable with 2 strokes

Paul
Currently looking for a Suzuki GT
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
2020 Triumph Street Twin
Cliff56
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff56 »

Check your float height. Should be 25.8mm.
Cliff56
On the street

Post by Cliff56 »

Cliff56
On the street

Post by Cliff56 »

Kevgt550
On the street

Post by Kevgt550 »

Cliff56 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:28 pm Check your float height. Should be 25.8mm.
Either i read incorrectly as 15.75 and set it to 15.75mm or i mistyped. I do know i had my manual right next to me. So i did not believe the float was a problem, will investigate this again though, and thank you for some good links!
Kevgt550
On the street

Post by Kevgt550 »

Harrymail wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:52 pm There is a member on the forum called Teazer who I am sure is in Chicago. He may be able to help you. He's certainly very knowledgeable with 2 strokes

Paul
Thank you Paul, I’ve been addressing other issues that popped up, but once I’m back to working on the idle, if i can’t figure it out I will look to see if teazer does work on these. Thanks!