Baffle wrapping..

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

daxman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: A100 GT250 & 4t Yams!

Baffle wrapping..

Post by daxman »

Hi All

Turns out my baffles on the GT250 have little or no wadding around them, and I get a few disconcerted looks as I ride around. :wth: so, I bought a bunch of it and wrapped the last 8 inches or so but to little effect.
Does it need to be the full baffle length? Also one of the baffles looks to be quite different - non standard - so I guess that.s not helping either..
redliner
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250

Re: Baffle wrapping..

Post by redliner »

Baffles in my 250 have no wrapping, as per the 1970s practice of removing it when the bike was having a top-end decoke and exhaust clean.
Don't ever remember anyone insisting on putting the wrapping back as a matter of course. IIRC the wrapping only went halfway, and was fixed in place with fine wire.
daxman
To the on ramp

Post by daxman »

Hmm, it is bordering on anti-social (but not as much as the spannies I made :o )

Do you know if the baffles are suppose to be 'straight through' perforated tubes? I have one with a stop plate part way down and one straight through..
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

daxman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:10 pm be 'straight through' perforated tubes? I have one with a stop plate part way down and one straight through..
Baffles normally have plates inside to direct exhaust into different chambers in the muffler to lessen noise. I tried making baffles out of pipe with holes drilled in pipe, but straight through without plate there wasn't much noise reduction. Another issue with noise is caused when the baffle plates inside the muffler come loose and fall out of position.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
redliner
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250

Post by redliner »

I've got two sets of exhausts and one has straight through and the other has tubes with baffle plates :shock:
The parts diagram and available images of NOS spares show a straight through pipe half-wrapped with wadding.
daxman
To the on ramp

Post by daxman »

Hmm
this sure is confusing. I think though I only have one baffle that is original to the GT250A and has a plate part way down. one of the other two is from a T20 (straight through) I think and the third is from god knows where - but it doesn't have the 'pull to remove bar' on the out bit and is also straight through I think. Guess I need to experiment further - perhaps even weld a penny into one.

Update the mystery baffle (no pull bar) looks like this one..

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/14510-36100