Hello All

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

SaesnegShaun
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 GT380K

Hello All

Post by SaesnegShaun »

Hello All,
I have recently got a GT380K US import which I am going to restore so though I would join up and say hi.
This is my first 2 stoke in many years so expect i'll need lots of help along the way which is where the forum comes in!
Lots to do but stop and go are the first jobs on my to do list.

I'm based in Newport South Wales. Anybody nearby?
1973 Suzuki GT380K
1976 Honda CB750K6
1977 Honda GL1000
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: Hello All

Post by dollydog »

only when i come down to aberdare for the racing :D i've got quite a few 380 engine and carb bits if you need any? :)
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcome in Shaun, lots of spares about for Suzy triples, and plenty of commonality between 550s and 380s. First thing you need is a parts catalogue like this - ebay number 304285066151 - or here -
https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm ( pick date, model, 'area' etc).
Do a search on here for other subjects such as charging etc ((top left, click on 'quick links').
There are some folks in Wales and they'll be along eventually!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
grumpy56
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 T350 Restored; 1972 GT380 Build

Post by grumpy56 »

Started putting together a 72 380 from parts. Been two years already and still working on motor!!! Had a red one when I was a kid and always wanted another. Trying to be as accurate to stock as I can, but some parts are tough to locate, i.e. front fender, at least here in the USA. It's been fun though and learning alot. Check out the service bulletins too as there were several changes made in the J/K models to improve things. Good luck!!!
Nicholasj
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT750M

Post by Nicholasj »

Good evening to all members on this forum.
And welcome to my first post.

My name is Nick and I reside in Brisbane- Australia.
My Suzuki is a GT750M that I purchased “restored” in November 2018 from a person I can only describe as fraudulent.
I’ve spent the last 3 years ACTUALLY restoring it and spending boatloads of bucks doing so.
This is what happens when you believe the published photos and eloquent backstory.
And of course buying it from 4500klms away and not getting it inspected. (See above line)
Biggest mistake-so far-of my life.
I owned a 750A new way way back, and thought it was time for another Waterbottle.
Luckily my Wife has supported this saga.

I’ve lurked about this site for years and gleaned a huge amount of Information and knowledge.
You provided me with Fork mods; needle roller swing arm bearings; tapered steering bearings; the little grub screw under the starter for Water Pump removal; the anti surging jets; the Air filter assembly foam; and a couple of other ‘Insider Fixes’ that I can’t recall at the moment.
All appreciated.

I also visited “Old Japanese Bikes” frequently and even emailed Ian Sandy a couple of times for answers to difficult questions. Thankfully, he was both polite and prompt.
Apart from relearning how to work on and in a Suzuki 2 stroke triple; I have certainly developed my Internet sleuthing and searching skills. As you all know; parts don’t grow on trees and don’t come easily.
Thinking outside the square seems to help.

That’s my Suzuki story. It’s been a long and very hard path. I expect to ride it in the next few weeks, and can only hope it was worth it.
Thank you for the help you didn’t know you’d given me.
As trite as it sounds, I’d like to return knowledge when and where I can.
grumps
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 380, 1977 (now sold)

Post by grumps »

Welcome to the forum.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorcycles and beer!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcome in Nicholas. Most people have bought bikes like that, I've always preferred the look and walk away option and don't like the idea of trusting photographs. Lots of spares available from BluesmokeBaz on kettle clinic forum, and he's done me several jobs from carb restos, to a full rebuild on my GT750A 'Hippo' and cranks on 550s.
There's lots of help (and spare) on here and elsewhere, of course, but someone else that chips in is always welcome.

If you fancy doing a resto thread on yours, that sounds 'interesting' :shock: , but if the pain is too bad, we understand! :|
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Mark Reeves
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 250 A 1976

Post by Mark Reeves »

They always look better in the photographs, it when you get them home you find the problems, but it keeps us busy.