Introduction

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Harrymail
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Currently looking

Introduction

Post by Harrymail »

Having been a member of the Kettleclinic for some years, I realised that I haven't done an intro on here.

I had a GT550A for 14 years, which I sold last year after losing confidence in it. Two full engine rebuilds and still not 100% with it, in a moment of madness I sold it last August. I immediately missed having a 550 so in September I aquired one that had been known to me for some years, a 550B. It had had a nut and bolt restoration 8 years ago, but still needed few running issues sorting out.

So far I've found that only one Sris valve works, one was seized and the other had the ball bearing in at the wrong end of the spring. New valves sorted that. Carb slide adjusters were all loose and had moved out if sync. Flow meter on them and now running nicely, although there is a slight top end rattle on a closed throttle. Still to be looked at. Oil pump was leaking from the spindle, but I had a spare gifted to me. Front brake was very poor. The caliper had been powder coated both inside and out, so the pad did not sit in the hollow and was on an angle. No 'O' rings on the pins and no dust rubbers fitted. All now fixed.

I am surprised that a bike that has had £1,000's spent on it has such issues, but perhaps that's why I'm now the owner. Still more niggles to work through over winter. Carbs off next, over winter for a good check.

I live in East Yorkshire and during the summer months I am regularly at Seaways cafe and Willingham Woods. So give me nod next summer if anyone sees me.

Cheers, Paul.

Alan - I have tried to add a picture, same as I would on the Kettle clinic Forum, but however I try I get an invalid file message ?
Last edited by Harrymail on Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently looking for a Suzuki GT
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
2020 Triumph Street Twin
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Introduction

Post by jabcb »

Welcome to the forum.

I use Flickr, it’s free to post lots of images. And include links to those images on posts here.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Harrymail wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:40 am Alan - I have tried to add a picture, same as I would on the Kettle clinic Forum, but however I try I get an invalid file message ?
Same here. I'm awaiting developments. I'm not convinced it's not just calling us 'invalids'....... :wth:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Hi and welcome.

It does show that even supposed 'nut & bolt' restorations need going over with a fine-toothed comb. In Classic Mechanics one of the regular contributors bought a Kawa H2C which had been "completely restored" by a well-known restorer, yet had the gearbox die within 200 miles, oil lines leaking at the banjos, shot fork seals etc etc.

Hope you get yours all sorted.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Just as a point on sris valves (or oil line non return valves).
If someone has them apart, or they are incorrectly manufactured, they will only work backwards. Also sris valves and oil line valves are opposites in that they work in opposite directions, so make sure they are ok before fitting.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Harrymail
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Currently looking

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:32 am Just as a point on sris valves (or oil line non return valves).
If someone has them apart, or they are incorrectly manufactured, they will only work backwards. Also sris valves and oil line valves are opposites in that they work in opposite directions, so make sure they are ok before fitting.
Two of mine were working backwards. Either been apart or something poked inside and the ball bearing pushed through the spring. After buying new ones I opened the old ones up to take a look inside.
Currently looking for a Suzuki GT
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
2020 Triumph Street Twin
jaybe64
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT550

Post by jaybe64 »

Welcome to finally introducing yourself .