Engine retrofit Q/A

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

SudookyT350
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 2 1970 Suzuki T350’s

Engine retrofit Q/A

Post by SudookyT350 »

I have a T350 I use for parts, sadly the engine is badly damaged and WAY out of my price range for repair). The frame and electricals are reusable, will need wheel bearings and brakes since the brake shoes separated. So that brings me to this: Put a V-twin Kohlet Command Series 20 on it or an Onan single cylinder diesel? Both may sound stupid but it’d be a great conversation starter. I have both engines and will either have to use a CVT transmission or modify a transmission from another motorcycle to have both an input sprocket going to the engine and the output sprocket going to the rear wheel. Either way I may have to stretch the rear swing arm back, I’m not too worried about destroying such a hard to find frame, it’s in bad shape and i’ll have to brace it to increase structural integrity. Basically I’m planning on making a hot rod, regardless on how many people may flame me for it. It’s in too bad of shape to use for a restoration but could do fine for what I plan on using it for.

So Kohler V-twin or Onan diesel? Discount Harley davidson or coal hauler? Let me know what you think. If anyone has any knowledge of creating a stand alone transmission for those applications let me know.
“Life is the art of drawing without an eraser with only one sheet of paper.”
x2 1970 Suzuki T350II’s, June flavored and July flavored. 1974 Honda CR125M Elsinore
jaybe64
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT550

Re: Engine retrofit Q/A

Post by jaybe64 »

Kola to keep it petrol V twin I worked on ride on mowers with same engine but sump will need to be modded . As they run horizontal and you will have it Vertically. Belt vari speed axle .
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Engine retrofit Q/A

Post by jabcb »

What about considering a motor from another motorcycle? Perhaps some craigslist junker donor bike with a motor in reasonable shape?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE