Ultra sonic cleaner for the check valves?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Macmenace
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 GT550

Ultra sonic cleaner for the check valves?

Post by Macmenace »

Anyone tried it? I have one I used for the carbs this past winter. It did a fair job. I did have one pilot jet strip and I had to drill out. Went well. I did have a good day as it did fire up after finding info on where to get a base settings for carbs. I have had this bike since new 6/73. Not ran since around 1980. So long I really can’t remember what year it last ran. Mileage is 13,789 and I wish I never painted over the purple metallic paint as I have not seen a picture of one exception is the advertising.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Ultra sonic cleaner for the check valves?

Post by Alan H »

Have a look at this site - http://www.suzukicycles.org/GT-series/index.html .
I did a resto on a 550K here - http://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/vie ... f=2&t=8779 , and here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... 778#p15778 - a few years ago and ran it for a few year before selling it to fund another resto. Currently running my (home restored) 550J and a very non standard 550A as well as GT and GS 750Bs.

You can split the check valves, and soak/clean them, make sure you rebuild them correctly as the 3 SRIS valves under the crankcase and the 6 valves on the inlet side work the opposite way and the internal ball/spring are fitted the opposite way. SRIS lets oil out, so ball then spring, inlet lets oil in, so spring then ball.
To split the valves, hold one end in soft jaw pliers with card between jaws and valve so you don't damage it, and with the pipe off, use some other pliers to twist them apart. Do it over a dish or something to catch the ball & spring. (Don't ask how I know that!) :roll: )
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Macmenace
Still in the Driveway

Post by Macmenace »

Thanks I will be giving them a cleaning soon. I did want to see if it would run again before I really got into it. We all have a few projects and some of us do a good job accumulating more than we need. Guilty. On the checks when I started it seemed to be way more smoke than it should have. I did kick for at least 2 hours that day. Today I pulled the ex pipes off and had 2 or 3 oz of oil pouring out of each pipe. Could the oil have been under the piston and being a scavenging byproduct. The cci tank could have dumped that oil into the motor years ago.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Anything is possible on a bike that has been stood for years. I would recommend removing all the baffles and letting whatever is inside the exhausts drain out or there will be a helluva mess when you get it running properly. It might be an idea to take head, barrels & pistons off and 'diesel' the crank to clean out all the bearings etc. before running it proper.
8th post down here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11954&hilit=Diesel
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Macmenace
Still in the Driveway

Post by Macmenace »

I have started breaking it down for a cleaning. I did change the case oil prime the oil pump and put on dry exhaust pipes before I started it. I will feel better when I find out where the excess oil came from. Thanks again and I will be checking back with the group as I resurrect my first ride. I did have a good friend who was a fan shared his bikes for us to learn to ride. A 350 and a 500T with clip on bars. Learning with those we grew into larger bikes. Currently I ride a stock 82 CBX and 97 Valkyrie. Be safe and enjoy your summer. D
Macmenace
Still in the Driveway

Post by Macmenace »

Hey and here is where I am at. Hung the CCI check valve assembly in the Ultrasonic bath Dawn and hot water with as little of the plastic tubes getting wet as possible. 15 minute cycle and found my excess smoke issue. L/Cy/lower line check is pouring. Another tool sitting around my house is a hand vacuum pump kit with automotive adapters. Used alcohol and vac adapter on banjo end pulling through line. Could have used a 3rd hand. Under vac I could hear the check ball rattling at 10” to 5”of vac. Became consistent with more alcohol, vacuum and time. Used same process to fill lines with CCI oil. With in 15 minutes R/Cyl/upper line passing oil. Vac oil and another alcohol vacuum flush. Vac both ways and check valve is holding with alcohol. Filled with oil again it and other 6 checks are holding. Hopefully this help someone like me that didn’t want to open the check valves. She had not run in 30+ years and I tried to keep her dry and under some cover. 47 years and 13k miles. I am lucky that they could be saved. Let’s see what happens next.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Progress is always slower than we plan or like with these old ladies.