hard shifting

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

smokie
Around the block

hard shifting

Post by smokie »

My first post on this subject may have been confusing (im not the best at explaining). The 380 is back together and running pretty good. When the bike is sitting still it wont downshift into first, only once im moving. I have to take off in second, once I get going it goes through the gears fine except ill have to double shift sometimes to get it to upshift (bike shifted fine before I split the cases). When the cases were open I didnt touch the shifter assembly or forks, selector, just took the gears out. However the shifter shaft gear and spring slid out of mesh with the driven cam but I put it back with the gears centered. Im sure the cases have to be split again but maybe I missed something stupid. Thanks a million for everyones help, not many people up here know about these bikes. Im just happy it runs well!
Last edited by smokie on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug rooney
To the on ramp

Post by doug rooney »

I have a TC250 so don't know anything about the 380 but my shift spring was installed wrong and had similar problems. Do you have "spring" in the shifter? On mine, there was none as the spring extension prongs were crossed and therefore not doing anything. Crossed them over and it is fine. Thought I was going to have to split it also but didn't need to.
Doug
smokie
Around the block

Post by smokie »

Yes, there is a spring but I could have swore I installed it correctly. Ill take the clutch cover off and have a look.
doug rooney
To the on ramp

Post by doug rooney »

NO! Not yet. Just see if you can feel if there is springy tension in the shift lever or is it just sloppy.
Doug
smokie
Around the block

Post by smokie »

Spring is fine, looks like im opening it up again. :x
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

here's a nice view of the 380 engine http://kawtriple.com/tripleed/dalegt380/engine.jpg is your shift link set up like this http://draken.gotdns.com/Suzukidave/Suz ... gears3.jpg ?
the older i get the faster i was
smokie
Around the block

Post by smokie »

It sure does, good pics by the way. What I dont get is if I put something together terribly amiss you would think it wouldnt shift at all or scream in protest doing it.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Is the shifter petal really tight on the shifter shaft ( no slop ) as with time and wear the shift lever bolt can be tightened all the way up but still the lever can move on the shaft ?
smokie
Around the block

Post by smokie »

Shifter isnt slipping on the shaft. My next day off ill yank the clutch cover and see if anything else other than the spring is amiss.
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

When I rebuilt the T200 it had all the same problems you describe, mind you I pulled it completely apart and replaced or cleaned everything. I found that after some riding and even a switch to bel-ray gearsaver solved the problem.
for me I think it just needed to work the lube back into everything.

Also when your stopped if you just rev it then try to shift it should work.
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

"Even if the voices in my head aren't real, They have some pretty good ideas"
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

The first engine I had on BlueBoy was terribly difficult to shift for a while, but it loosened up. I think it was because I didn't fill the shift drum with oil during the build.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
smokie
Around the block

Post by smokie »

So maybe ill run it for a little while before I tear it down again. Im running the factory recommended 20w50 motor oil in the tranny (castrol), and have been for 3 seasons without problems. Would the Belray be better for it?
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

:shock:
an oil question! where is Rick? :wink:
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

"Even if the voices in my head aren't real, They have some pretty good ideas"
smokie
Around the block

Post by smokie »

Update! apparently if the shifter gear is off by 1 gear tooth it wont shift properly :oops: . Shes all good now.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

smokie wrote:Update! apparently if the shifter gear is off by 1 gear tooth it wont shift properly :oops: . Shes all good now.
Yeah :D