Introduction... for Cdn850T5NT

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Cdn850T5NT
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Want a T500; have an 850T5 (series 3) Guzzi

Introduction... for Cdn850T5NT

Post by Cdn850T5NT »

Hi folks,

I just arrived on the scene and it was suggested that I do a brief intro.

I listed that I have a 1974 Titan 500... but in truth that is what I THINK I want to aspire to. Actually, I have a Series III Moto Guzzi 850T5 (model year 1985) - actually in pristine shape. 6000 km. However, I have had two 2 strokes earlier-on in my life (starting out with a TS90J... i.e. model year 1972 - which I was really fond of).

I have a hankering for a two stroke once again, but as 2 stroke street bikes have long-since left the scene here in North America (and particularly in Western Canada - Vancouver - where I live) I am thinking that I will have to be really strategic in acquiring just the right bike. I say strategic, because the spare parts situation gives me pause.

I used to say that I would ONLY consider a two stroke single... but as I routed-about a bit - I learned that the Titan T500 has a very, very stout and long-lived bottom-end, albeit a bit tricky to set up correctly. Phasing the (centre) crankshaft accurately it seems to me ought to be done pretty carefully... so that ignition timing for the cylinders will be true to the flywheel markings (and will not be unduly advanced... with all of the related ills that could cause). Jigs needed to phase the centre crank would appear to vary all over the board... from insubstantial in strength and accuracy to quite stout. I have been studying this whole matter quite a bit.

It seems to me that when a person talks about a Suzuki twin there are a few items that are absolutely necessary to have available in the aftermarket... or available as OEM New Old Stock from a dealer. Based on some research I would want to stay with an air-cooled twin (i.e. no more than 2 cylinders) - for reasons of simplicity. The reading I have done on the T500 suggests that it is a really well designed and strong bike with decent performance.

I have heard that 1974 or 1975 would be optimal due to the 1400cc oil fill capacity... and from my perspective - still twin leading shoe front brakes. NO hard to find hydraulics... and a drum brake will always be able to be "re-shoed" and made to work. Inferior performance, yes, but well-suited to my needs re rebuildability.

Please humour me regarding the following list of "Must Have" parts:

- cylinders will NOT be a problem 'cuz they can be sleeved or they may be able to be bored to one or two sizes over-size. NP.

- new pistons and rings MUST be available.

- new conrods along with piston pins, circlips, small-end needle bearings must be available.

- IF the Titan's bottom-end is as stout as it is purported to be, then at least the crankpins, thrust washers, and the bearings might be considered to be useable... from original. Better yet though, new components would be available. Crankpins are pretty well considered to be a wear-part, are they not?

- New, fresh outboard seals are a must, as are the two inboard seals (a must).

- Japanese-made or possibly Taiwanese... and not Chinese made bottom end bearings... it'd be great if they were still available.

- Oil pump parts must be still available. Impossible to run that engine without a good, in-order oil pump. A must, it seems to me.

- Carb parts ARE available. Not specific to Suzuki.

- Intake boots could be made-up / adapted. NP.

- Hopefully the gears that are subject to the 1200cc oil-fill distress (i.e. the underfill) - should be available in the used-bike / parts market?

- I assume that clutch friction plates can be remanufactured?

- Fork seal parts... those likely would be necessary to be able to source? The forks themselves assumedly could be restored by spray-welding / chroming?

Have I forgotten anything?

Can two-stroke connrods be "resized" / restored or must they be replaced every time?

What do you folks think about the T500, as meeting my criterion for spare parts and a stout bottom-end build?

An aside: here are two links re bottom-end building / centre-crank phasing jigs:

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/pdfs/alphacr ... ioning.pdf - the Alpha Cranks Reconditioning booklet.

http://kawatriple.com/files/crankrebuild.pdf - the Kawasaki triple (and twin and single) crankshaft rebuilding set of jigs.

A picture of a fairly stout centre-crank phasing jig...

A picture of a really weak-minded jig.

Finally, a picture of a really, really sweet 1970 T500 (I believe from a member on this forum???)

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cdn850T5NT on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Re: Introduction... for Cdn850T5NT

Post by Evans Ward »

Welcome and a very good introductory post! :clap: There are many members here well versed in the T500 Titan twin so I’m sure you’ll get some feedback on your questions. I had a riding buddy back in the late 70’s/ early 80’s with a T500 and it was solid as a rock, ever so dependable. Great bikes!
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
Cdn850T5NT
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Want a T500; have an 850T5 (series 3) Guzzi

Post by Cdn850T5NT »

Thank you for the warm welcome, Evans.

I provide, here, a couple of other things re crankbuilding.

One in particular is the story of a fellow who was rebuilding a crank for a "Banshee" (if memory serves). Not sure if that is a 2- or a 4-stroke... but he shows how he indexes the centre-crank assembly. A really well-done job: https://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index. ... lkthrough/&

Also, some shots related to Pete Trick Racing... including a centre-phasing jig that they use... for both twins and triples.

Finally a statement on the size of hydraulic press to use for good resuilts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of spares available for the T500, either your side of the pond or elsewhere. Always get proof of work done when you buy a bike.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.