Hard to Start

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

russt
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 Suzuki T350

Re: Hard to Start

Post by russt »

After cleaning the points off, it seems to help. I am thinking that the battery is getting intermittent charge from whatever regulates it. If the battery is working properly, the left side fires ok. If the battery is not getting proper electricity from the bike, the left side cuts in and out :?
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Hard to Start

Post by karl pa »

At least it seems you are getting things narrowed down.
I would go through the electrical system and clean all contacts, wiring harness plugs, switch contacts, grounds at where devices bolt to frame.
If the T350 is like early T250, they do not have regulators, they use the battery as the regulator. What type battery are you using? Conventional batteries work with this charging system if level is kept up. AGM do not work, voltage goes to high and cooks them dry.
On my T250 I installed a modern regulator/rectifier, to keep the voltage below 14.2, so I can use AGM battery.
I bought a cheap volt meter, temp mounted on bars and wired clips to it so I can clip on battery before ride. I had bikes charge fine setting in driveway, but acted up while riding, this gives a better idea of what charging system is doing.

One place for bad connection I found is where battery plugs into harness, I had several bikes have issues in that plug, and ended up replacing plug with different style.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe