Tachometer drive oil seal

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

bikegeezer
On the main road

Tachometer drive oil seal

Post by bikegeezer »

Most of the tach drives that are round with a key way had an oil seal supplied as part of the tach cable. I suspect most of them got lost pretty quickly, and it's not available separately. But I recently bought a new cable for my GT500 and measured the seal. It might be available locally. The seal measures 14mm OD, 7mm ID, and 4mm thick. I needed the new cable anyway, but the oil seal has stopped the seepage from the tach drive.

Stu
Tom W.
Still in the Driveway

Post by Tom W. »

Stu:
I probably missed a previous post, but are you saying you took a seal off of a new tach cable and then used it to replace a bad seal at the tach drive of the oil pump?

I'm asking since oil leaks around the tach drive shaft of my T500 oil pump.

Thanks,
Tom
'72 T500
'96 RGV250
'98 EX500
bikegeezer
On the main road

Post by bikegeezer »

Tom W. wrote:Stu:
I probably missed a previous post, but are you saying you took a seal off of a new tach cable and then used it to replace a bad seal at the tach drive of the oil pump?

I'm asking since oil leaks around the tach drive shaft of my T500 oil pump.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom,
I'm saying that I needed a new tach cable. When I got it, I noticed it had an oil seal that my old cable didn't have. And the old one was seeping oil at the drive end. My parts guy brought it to my attention and told me they fall off real easily, so be sure not to lose it on the way home. I posted the dimensions for anyone who'd lost their seal and need a replacement.

Stu