suzuki gt250 muffler

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

cleaf
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt250

suzuki gt250 muffler

Post by cleaf »

hi

i did check my bikes muffler because it was so loud.

it seems internal parts have been broken (that part where baffle will rest inside the muffler).

has anyone tried to repair something like this or is best solution to find new muffler?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: suzuki gt250 muffler

Post by GTandcbr »

I would just make sure the old baffle is out they sometimes break in half. Then buy a replacement and insert it and put a new screw to hold it in place. I have used mine like this for the last 10 years :up:
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
cleaf
On the street

Post by cleaf »

GTandcbr wrote:I would just make sure the old baffle is out they sometimes break in half. Then buy a replacement and insert it and put a new screw to hold it in place. I have used mine like this for the last 10 years :up:
i did make new baffle but sound is way too loud because that piece is broken inside muffler.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

You will have to get that broken piece out or it will never sound right. Try holding it up and gently tapping the seam with a rubber mallet.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

You could also try soaking the inside of the exhaust with a solvent before doing so.
cleaf
On the street

Post by cleaf »

GTandcbr wrote:You could also try soaking the inside of the exhaust with a solvent before doing so.
i did get the piece out but it sounds terrible because baffle doesnt fit now cause of that piece is broken.

have someone repaired something like this without opening muffler?
muffler is welded all around
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

I could be wrong but; That looks like a piece of baffle packing has broken off. Are you sure it is a faulty pipe? Have you tried repacking the baffles?
I don't have standard pipes on mine, so hopefully if I am wrong, someone will correct me on what the inside end of a standard pipe looks like without the baffle in it.
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

Looks like the baffle plate that holds baffle in place and isolates muffler chambers forcing exhaust through the baffle is broken, without these plates in place there isn't much you can do to quiet the exhaust. It is common for these to break or come loose when spot welds let go,I think your best bet would be to look for other mufflers, but if they rattle when shaken, they too have broken internals.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
cleaf
On the street

Post by cleaf »

karl pa wrote:Looks like the baffle plate that holds baffle in place and isolates muffler chambers forcing exhaust through the baffle is broken, without these plates in place there isn't much you can do to quiet the exhaust. It is common for these to break or come loose when spot welds let go,I think your best bet would be to look for other mufflers, but if they rattle when shaken, they too have broken internals.
just as i thought...

search of the new muffler may begin...
Steve250
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250B

Post by Steve250 »

I can cornfirm both my GT250 pipes have loose baffle walls. Seems a very common problem, and not an easy fix.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

If you don't like loud pipes, make sure you don't get a set of Higgspeeds to replace the broken ones with. They are nice pipes but I can guarantee they will be a LOUD. So loud that my wife runs indoors every time I start my bike up.