Leaky Fuel Tap.

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Leaky Fuel Tap.

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi All,
It's been a while since my last post, mainly because my 380M has been running problem free for a few thousand miles, but now it has an annoying leak from the fuel tap. I have replaced the rubber seal ( gasket ) which sits behind the lever and it has improved it, but I am now sure that the spring steel washer that sits behind the face plate and pushes on the lever has lost it's spring. I can see the item on all the spares diagrams but none give a part number. Is there anyone who knows of a part number or maybe an alternative that can be used. I know I can probably bend the washer slightly but I don't think it would be long before the problem is back.
Many thanks,
Glyn.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Leaky Fuel Tap.

Post by GTandcbr »

I don't think you will find a spring for sale anywhere they came with the tap. I bent my spring slightly and that seemed okay. Lots of reasons for a leaky tap but more often than not it's because the plunger on the diaphragm is not closing properly when the engine is off.
For help look here
https://youtu.be/qWNyvjaWfz8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi GTandcbr,
The tap only starts leaking when I operate the lever say from the "on" position to the prime position and I can see the fuel welling up between the face plate and the lever. If left in the "on" position with engine off it does not leak. If in the "on" position with the engine running it starts to drip. I will have to find a supplier of Wave Spring Washers ( compression ) of the right dimensions to maybe fix the problem.
Thanks again,
Glyn.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Have you replaced the rubber grommet inside the tap with the holes in it? Each hole has a rim or lip that seals on the lever inside surface. The wear down over time. I always Polish the inside face of the lever too. It makes the action smoother
If you do decide to replace the grommet be aware early and late taps have different amount of holes.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi,
Yes I have replaced the 5 hole grommet and it seemed to improve, but still a slow drip when engine is running. I will try and source a new spring washer or just bend the old one and hope it doesn't break.
Cheers,
Glyn.
smokin
Around the block

Post by smokin »

Get some 1000 grit wet sand paper, silicone grease and a flat area, wet the sand paper put the tap lever face down and use a circular motion to polish the face. Once done put a very small amount of grease on the face. That should help you out.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Cheers smokin,
I will give that a try.
Regards,
Glyn.