newtronics??

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

newtronics??

Post by johnakay »

I'm considering in purchasing an electronic ignition,just not sure which.
I know some of you guys have fitted newtronics.
are they good?,do the last? are they easy to fit.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
tz375
Moto GP

Re: newtronics??

Post by tz375 »

I bought a set a few years ago and was not impressed with the quality so I sold it on. Then I bought a GT750 with one fitted and it came with wiring problems, so for me, they are not the first choice. Others swear by them - especially in the UK.

For the Phat Trakka, I made a custom DYNA set up because I had the parts so it was fairly cheap, but on the Dunstall I fitted an Accent from Germany and that's what I would use on all future builds. Build quality is what you would expect from a German company - excellent and the owner/seller, Uwe, is easy to work with. Plus the price is right where it needs to be.

On mine, I added a 4th wire to the connector for power which was easy and allowed me to wire in a relay and fuse into the ignition circuit.

So to recap:
Fitting - easy
Quality - excellent
Price - cost effective
seller - a pleasure to deal with

Newtronics - not so much........

YMMV
smokin
Around the block

Post by smokin »

I have used both, the Accent was an easy install and the timing is set to the center cylinder and you're done, but if one cylinder is off you can not advance or retart the timing on the one cylinder which was the problem I had. On the Newtronics you can set the timing on each individual cylinder . The install takes a little more time but I can adjust each cylinder to the way I want. The Newtronics is working fine and I have had no problems and yes I used a dial gauge to check the timing. This is a something you should take into consideration as I didn't realize this was going to be a problem.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

To put a counter-argument, a T500 isn't revving high unless you're racing, so the points won't wear much, and it's only 2 sets of points which take no time to adjust ... and once they're set they'll only need checking once a year ...
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

All my Suzy 2 strokes are on points and I do about 4000 miles a year between them.
Just remember that if points fail, you'll get home on 'some' cylinders, but if electonics fail, you're knackered.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies

Post by johnakay »

thought as much.
I'll stick with points.
I doubt I'll ever do 1500 miles a year as agreed with my insurance.
my last bike(the green T500)I think I ever went over 1200 in 2 years,if that.
I only intend to use the bike for short local runs probably 140 miles round trip.
got my other bike for long distance etc.
thanks a lot guys.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Not coming oop norf for the Yorkshire Rally then?

Come on, you know you'd like to!
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... hire+rally" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Al luke after yer - just like yer mam would!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies

Post by johnakay »

Al luke after yer - just like yer mam would!

oh your so sweet Alan. :shock:
not sure if I can trust the old bike just yet.
I've had problems with timings etc etc.
getting there.
I've a lot to catch up ,its been 16 years since my last one.
so once I feel confident I may.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

On my 380, the thing that ensured the points stayed in adjustment and didn't need constant attention was careful lubrication of the points cam every six months / 1000 miles or so.

Make sure the felt pad on the points plate actually rubs across the high spot of the points cam when you rotate the crank. Then put a single small drop of oil (the size of a match head) on the felt and let it soak in. Finally, use your finger to put a very thin trace of grease across the high spot of the points cam, and turn the engine over a couple of times on the kickstarter to spread the trace of grease to the fibre 'heels' of the points that rub on the points cam.

It takes longer to type it out than it does to actually do it, but it stops the fibre heels of the points wearing down which in turn stops the timing changing.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies

Post by johnakay »

thanks craig.
I've already lubed the felt but not the other but will do.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

The only Newtronics I've worked with have proved to be unreliable and of poor build quality. I have Accent on my GT380 but have yet to run it longer than a couple of minutes so it is too early for me to assess their long-term reliability. Boyer Bransden are well-spoken of, but I have no personal experience to vouch for them.

I agree with previous comments about points being either roadside fixable or limp-home handy up to a point. They don't last very long if you do many miles and are costly to replace these days, especially if you replace the condensors at the same time as recommended. They also produce a poorer quality spark from new, which will deteriorate over the lifetime of the points. As the points wear, the timing goes out, the spark duration gets shorter and the power of the spark decreases. In short they are a flawed, but usable system.

In contrast a good quality electronic ignition will maintain a high quality spark near permanently and once set will not go out of tune. Set your timing once and forget about it.
But cheap electronics, or those incorrectly wired in with poor connections, will give you grief sooner or later.

No matter which system you choose, poor quality plugs, leads or plug caps will let you down. Use NGK plugs and plug caps for the best consistent reliability and quality (just don't drop them. A tiny crack in the porcelain on any brand of plug will cause a misfire in a fairly short amount of time). Quality copper core HT leads are best for reliability and long life.

Of all the readily available spark plugs to avoid is Champion. When I was an engine tuner I found they were the most unreliable and short-lived.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

I agree, points have their flaws, but like many things the flaws can be minimised with a little careful preparation. Like lubing the points cam as described above, which significantly lengthens their life.

The other thing is careful cleaning / degreasing of the backplate where the points mount, and of the condenser connections and mountings, so that the points have a good earth. This really helps to stop arcing and pitting across the points faces. Takes a minute and a few squirts of electric switch cleaner from the local pound shop :up:
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Not arguing with any of the above but just want to post my experience.
20 years ago I fitted a Newtronics system to my 550 J after having lots of points problems. Since then it's performed perfectly and I have done about 40,000 miles on it. I just take the cover off once a year for a quick clean and timing check. The only problem I did have was I had to remove the system to remove clutch cover and when I replaced it I pinched the trigger cable so I bought a replacement.
Just sayin'
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

I have a Newtronic ignition on both my GT750s. Have not had any problems but that’s much of a datapoint because of how few miles I put on them.

Its my understanding that Autocar acquired Newtronic some years ago and improved the kit after the acquisition. So complaints about the early kits may not be relevant anymore.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

The new equipment has an led light on the control box so each cylinder can be set up independently.
The very early systems were called pirahna before Newtronics bought it up.
Of course the main advantage of Accent over Newtronics is that with accent there is no separate control box to fit somewhere
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j