GT750 CV to VM conversion linkage info request!

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

mfrias2nd
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 GT750, '73 Norton...yeah I know, not here

GT750 CV to VM conversion linkage info request!

Post by mfrias2nd »

Hey all,

I've got my VM carbs on my bike installed with the cable pull to the oil pump. However, the tip of the cable is just a nub, it isn't the circular barrel that I usually see fitting in the two-sided pump arm. Is it missing a ferrule or something? how does the cable connect to to the pump arm?

Also, according to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11662&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I see that my '75 oil pump will still work but I need to use the correct pump arm to be used with the cable... does this mean that because the markings on the earlier style arm are to be used to adjust the pump at part throttle that I now have to adjust that way or should I still adjust at throttle closed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Mario
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: GT750 CV to VM conversion linkage info request!

Post by jabcb »

The adjustment marking on the early/VM arms & late/CV arms are in a different locations.

The throttle on the CV carbs controls butterfly valves. The slide position is controlled by air flow. You can’t adjust the oil pump based on the slide position. So the arm adjustment marking is used with the throttle closed.

For the VM carbs, the throttle cables have some free play when the throttle is closed. So a throttle open adjustment is more accurate.

When you have VM carbs & the early/VM arm, you adjust the oil pump per the early/VM instructions. So you adjust it with the throttle open.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
mfrias2nd
On the street

Post by mfrias2nd »

Thanks for the reply!

I already figured all of that but to clarify, I have to adjust the pump with throttle open per instructions manual. but this ALSO means I have to get the early pump lever correct? does anybody have this part number? Also, the lever I've seen is a double sided lever that holds the round ferrule but my cable just has a nub. Am I missing something?

Thanks again guys!

M
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Suzuki didn’t sell parts for the pump. The only part # is for the entire pump + arm.

The late/CV arm attaches to the control rod via a little holder. The holder, part # 16764-65010, is still available from Suzuki.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... 0/oil-pump

The early/VM arm attaches to the cable via a cable terminal. The Cable terminal looks like a small version of the terminals used to attach drum brake cables.
Its part # 16292-03112 & is still available from Suzuki.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... 0/oil-pump

Its possible to attach the arm 180 degrees out from the correct position. Because of that its advisable to apply a dab of paint as I did to ensure you won’t make that mistake.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11662&start=15

The GT380, GT550 & GT750 pumps look the same. There is a number stamped on the arm. Before buying a used arm or complete pump, its advisable to make a post on this topic with the number so that a forum member can compare the number to their pump.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
mfrias2nd
On the street

Post by mfrias2nd »

JABCB! thank you that's exactly what I was looking for!