T500 oil pump marks

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PhilatHooton
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

T500 oil pump marks

Post by PhilatHooton »

The manuals state that the line on the lever should correspond with the line on the body at full throttle opening. OK.
But which of the 3 dots below the line is the one that should correspond with the line on the body with the throttle closed ?

When i turn the lever it feels like it comes up against a cam or lobe inside which lines up with the middle of the dots as shown in the 2nd pic. Is this the idle position ?

Thanks
oil pump 1 (2).jpg [attachment=0]oil pump 2 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: T500 oil pump marks

Post by titan performance »

Never been asked that one before....In over 40 years of ownership, I've only ever set at the WOT mark and not worried about the rest.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

In practice, the amount of oil consumed at idle is almost nothing so it doesn't really matter, I don't think. As Titan said, what counts is the adjustment for full throttle. I'm sure you know not to sit at traffic lights in gear with the clutch pulled: always engage neutral :wink: :up:

On my old GT380, the oil pump arm would not return by itself to the idle position when running, it felt like there was a 'soft stop' keeping it about 1/3 open, but gentle finger pressure would push it fully closed.

I posted about it on here and I was pointed at a Suzi factory bulletin about this issue: the factory fix was to add an extra small spring to ensure the actuator returned to the idle position. Basically, the pump's internals have a little stiction.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
PhilatHooton
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

Post by PhilatHooton »

Thanks for your replies guys. Have taken on board your comments :D