GT250 rear wheel swap - too much bother..?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

daxman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: A100 GT250 & 4t Yams!

GT250 rear wheel swap - too much bother..?

Post by daxman »

Hi All

Well I got a cast wheel form a GSX250 /X7 plus the brake and sprocket carrier but missing one or two spacers, I also found a guy who had done it before. So if you can turn down some chain adjuster spacers to accept the 15mm spindle (these will be different on both sides due to the differing adjust slots in the swinging arm), then if you have all the right spacers to center the wheel you then can machine a 525 sprocket to fit the GSX sprocket carrier from a blank. All do-able with a bit of time but probably too much effort for me with everything else that is needed.

Cheers
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT250 rear wheel swap - too much bother..?

Post by Alan H »

Use a X7 swing arm.
I have a GS550 swinger in mt GT550 so an Ally rear wheel with a disc can be used. Fits right in without any mods. Had to make something to fit the rear master cylinder, but no biggie in a 'normal' garage workshop. The Ally front wheel with twin discs fits straight in too.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
daxman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: A100 GT250 & 4t Yams!

Re: GT250 rear wheel swap - too much bother..?

Post by daxman »

Thanks. Been down that route - sort of. X7 swingers are scarce but I asked a seller to measure a GS250 one and it was 20mm wider if I recall (210 vs 190). ill probably keep an eye open for an X7 item, but in the mean time I've bought the correct 17mm rear spindle (it came with a 15mm slopping about in 17mm bearings!!) and a new sprocket for the standard carrier (old one was starting to hook).

The rear wheel is the best of the pair, rusty but servicable. the front has peeling chrome so really need a new rim at least (one day, one day).