Re,arcing brake shoes

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Splant
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Yr5 t500j

Re,arcing brake shoes

Post by Splant »

Re other post. I dismantled it and saw only a couple of inches of both trailing edges of the shoes were contacting ,I must have put them on opposite to what they were before I dismantled it . I sanded that part but then thought of a diy way of matching them to the drum. I put the axle in my vice then the wheel so it would spin, then cut strips of 320 sandpaper and with occasional blobs of super glue stuck them to the drum ,then put backplate on spin wheel and pulled brakes on slightly . Kept doing it around ten times then remove ,try and unclog the sandpaper with a wire brush ,blow it out with a hairdryer and start again
Spent half an hour doing it and the shoes seemed to be getting more uniform, to cold to test ride it but can't see why it shouldn't help,obviously had to scrape the blobs of glue off ,I think 240 sandpaper would have been better and unsure if backplate would fit on if the shoes were new or thicker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.