T500J swing arm bushings

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

1T500closertodivorce
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 197? GT 250, 2000 GSXR 600, 1972 T500J

T500J swing arm bushings

Post by 1T500closertodivorce »

I have my frame stripped down, almost ready to go off for powder coating. I am wondering if someone could talk me through removing the swing arm bushings on my T500. I haven't found a description anywhere to help me. I am asking for the advise before I get too heavy handed!

Also looking for a recommendation for a parts supplier, preferably in Canada, or failing that the US.

Thanks!
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: T500J swing arm bushings

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi i dont have a 500J but a 550 j i simply used a junior hacksaw, fed the blade through the hole and cut it in two, then knocked it out with a large screwdriver.
New part can be found here:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuk ... 0ff847cc1e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edit. Rule to self don't answer posts when you've been to the pub! I just inserted a long screwdriver and drift it out using the spacer in the middle. :D
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

If you don't have a drift tool, see what you can do with appropriate size sockets 1/4" drive and long extension and a hammer. Maybe even turn the socket around....extension 'inside' the socket. One side then the other using the long center spacer as mentioned above. Be sure and remove the grease nipple first.

I guess I should remind you to wear safety glasses. :wink:

Great decision to powder coat :up: .... Something you'll always be happy you did but tell them to take it easy on the numbers and manufacture date stamped on the neck of the frame. I can barely make mine out after I had my frame done back when. I have a reproduction Vin label I have yet to stick on, but still....
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

Hit the spacers harder. :)

Wasn't real clear before and you probably have them out by now but for future reference for others needing assistance...... there are the two outboard spacers for the swingarm bushings and then the center spacer that looks like this...

ImageImageImage

After removing the grease nipple, pick a side to start and simply, but aggressively, start driving one of the outside spacers in. All the spacers butt up to each other so the center spacer will push the bushing spacer on the other side out and then eventually the high collar on the center spacer will drive the swingarm bushing out. Then you can just use the center spacer to drive out the other swingarm bushing.

Of course make sure you powercoater blocks of the swingarm tube....it's going to be a tight enough fit as it is when you go to install new ones. Best to try and press them in protecting the lips of course. Even with a rubber mallet trying to hammer them in can chip off some of the lip if you don't protect the bushing from an uneven hit while tapping it in.

I just used the stock bushings from Suzuki myself but as you may know, aftermarket bronze ones are available and here is a link to a 'heads up' from member jabcb. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

another tip is: don't forget the swingarm is, or should be, loaded with grease. you need to remove it, because if it drips out in its molten state when it gets hot in the powdercoat oven all over everything hanging underneath it, your powdercoater will not be happy. twice this has happened to me, the first time i blanked the end holes up with threaded rod, nuts and penny washers - but i forgot the grease nipple hole. and yes, i left the bushes in, they were perfect. second time i did the same, but blanked the grease nipple hole, blanked the ends off and left the bushes in again - big mistake - somebody had fitted plastic bushes. it melted and spat everywhere, ruining a load of stuff. he was definitely not amused that time :(
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
1T500closertodivorce
On the street

Result!

Thanks for all the good advise!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

jabcb wrote:I use one of the bushing drivers..
Excellent!

I must admit......I did chip the lip on one of my new fibre/plastic bushings from Suzuki a bit this past summer using a rubber mallet alone. :oops: Oh well, how does that saying go :?: ....Do as I say...not as I do. :lol: I'll blame it on the summer heat and being in a hurry with bigger fish to fry. :roll: :|
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

1T500closertodivorce wrote:Result!...
Good.:) but next time could you post a before pic of the parts before you cleaned them up......always good for 'effect'. :lol:

Man, you did say in one of your first posts that you were in no hurry on this project. You weren't kidding....it's been awhile but now knowing that powdercoating is part of the plan, I get the sense the wait to see the project will be worth it. :up: Take your time, one step at a time, let your wife accept your hobby in slow doses :) ........like Charlie Chan once said... "Cat that tries to catch two mice at same time goes without supper". :wink:

You had also mentioned wanting parts suppliers preferably in Canada. New? Used? or both? You might try googling keywords 'vintage Japanese motorcycle wreckers' and see what pops up.

Have you used this dealership in Vancouver to special order parts they don't normally stock? :arrow: https://modernmotorcycling.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" Don't let the name fool you. They have been around since the '60's.

Good Luck
1T500closertodivorce
On the street

Yes, I'm taking my time , for sure. I can't ride at the moment (long story), so slow but steady will hopefully win the race!
Cheers.