down pipe and silencer gasket??

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

down pipe and silencer gasket??

Post by johnakay »

down pipe and silencer gasket are bl**dy expensive for what they are.
I seem to remember one guy on here found a cheaper solution.
can any remember what he used.
if not have you found a cheaper alternative?
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Re: down pipe and silencer gasket??

Post by dorT500 »

johnakay wrote:down pipe and silencer gasket are bl**dy expensive for what they are.
I seem to remember one guy on here found a cheaper solution.can any remember what he used.
if not have you found a cheaper alternative?
Are you talking about the this? If so.....Guilty as charged. :wink: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13449&p=170042&hili ... mp#p170042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

I don't know if it is a cheaper solution for all....I guess it depends on how many miles you put on the clock and how long the sealant lasts. I've been doing it this way for a long time and don't remember how long the stock seals lasted but it seemed not long enough to me.... especially for the cost of them. Like I said earlier, they are nothing but big oil seals.

I'm thinking in the automotive harmonic balancer seal range to start looking again, https://www.google.com/search?q=harmoni ... tP-rhqc1KM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" though there are sites you can just enter dimensions.

John, if you do this, before you do, can you measure the O.D. of the header/down pipe and the I.D. of the muffler seal pocket? I'll go ahead and add one of the OEM seals to a list of parts I will be ordering soon as I double-check my stash to make sure I don't order a part I already have. Should be ready to order in a couple of weeks.

I'll get the actual seal measured up and try again for a few days to find a generic seal the same size.

In the mean time..... a good clean up, finishing up with a good wipe down of acetone and wait at least 12-14 hours (24 hrs. would be best) before starting engine.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

Using something like this coated in the RTV silicone to help it stay in crossed my mine mind also......but only crossed it. :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reinforced-G ... 100623.m-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
johnakay
I likes them jubblies

Post by johnakay »

thanks dort500.
a friend of mine was enquiring so I've passed it on to him.
last time I bought 2 seal @£10 each was in 2003
they only lasted about a 1,000 miles before they started weeping.
managed to buy a set for $59 from the states.
that was the cheapest I could find.
Robinson foundry wanted $79 plus postage so you'd be looking at $87 or more.
the seals that are on now look newish so I'll leave them on for now.
I will be taking my bike a part next week.
I'll measure the pipes etc then.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

johnakay wrote:thanks dort500......
they only lasted about a 1,000 miles before they started weeping.
:up: and thanks for the reminder/estimate on how long they usually last. Partzilla reduced their price awhile back to $20.62 USD but I think that is still out of line....as you say...."for what they are".

I am curious what a local dealership is paying for them and I think if I ask about just this one part, the parts manager will tell me. They do beat online parts prices for me a little but I am not sure if they will go down any further.....maybe just for this one item?.....I won't tell anybody. :ssh: :)

I'm sure I have read it before but I don't remember......anybody reading this know what the temperature reaches at this area we are discussing?
johnakay
I likes them jubblies

Post by johnakay »

theres an alternative.got this off facebook.

((Further to my comment yesterday ref exhaust to down pipe sea l I have searched my spares and have found seal box and seal and checked number on it it is a Payen nb 628 it is a crank/flywheel seal so withstands the heat and at present they are on Ebay for £10.57 but are black not blue but hey dam sight cheaper hope this helps everybody))

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 1&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

Lots of alternatives if you go by the measurements of that seal on that ebay listing. I'm not so sure that is indeed the correct size seal. :?

You can enter those dimensions..... '60x45x9 oil seals'.....into your google search engine and come up with dozens....even blue. Though the blue are polyurethane. :arrow: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1426& ... K0te3MOyYY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Dimensions from a brand new Suzuki seal is what I would like to see. Anyway, even the OEM one was not made from a material that can stand up to the heat for very long.

Here's one I found on my side of the big pond in that size but I think I saw one like the one you posted that was made from Polyicrylate which has a little better temperature range. https://www.avxseals.com/Shaft-Oil-Seal ... gKXePD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

I found an old OEM seal. My old vernier caliper is toast but with some careful measuring with just a ruler, I come up with an outside diameter of around 60 mm for the O.D. 10 mm for the height. Not to sure on the I.D., it is a bit torn up. The diameter of a spare down/header pipe is 48mm. I think a 45 mm I.D. seal would be a tad too tight and may shorten the life of the seal lip with the heat and the garter spring working against it.

Same company I posted above has the TC type rubber covered seal in the next two sizes up... 46x60x10 for $5.83 USD each (4.99 GBP this date) and 47x60x10 for $5.35 USD

I jumped ahead to cart to check out shipping costs and I think it is 'free shipping'....I hate that phrase :roll: .....let's just say it looks like shipping is included in the price for shipping in the states......not 100% sure yet. Quantity discounts available for over seven pcs.

I think I'll take the old seal and spare down pipe to a local bearing and supply house next week and see what they can come up with also.
See what type of seal lip would be best/most durable for this application also.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

hhmmmm..... Silicone and Viton, better resistance to heat as shown in the chart above but still should have never been used for the exhaust. Just a bad idea/design by Suzuki....just like the T500 kickstart lever design. :| Oh well, Suzuki didn't expect that people would be fretting over these machines 40-50 years later. :) Blue and red silicone seals....wonder if their vendors/manufacture's have/already make the correct size. Price is probably still higher than one might like if quoted a price for a small quantity or large quantity. Might check into this wholesaler later ....maybe not. :|

:arrow: http://www.aarsonhardware.com/oil-seals ... -oil-seals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"