GT750 CV TO VM CONVERSION

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

mfrias2nd
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 GT750, '73 Norton...yeah I know, not here

GT750 CV TO VM CONVERSION

Post by mfrias2nd »

Hi 'yall,

it's been a while...

I'm in the middle of converting my CV bike to VM carbs. so far everything is going as planned except the throttle housing... going from push pull to pull only the entire housing moves back. I've tightened the 2 screws on the housing as tight as possible and it still moves. Am I missing something? has anybody had this problem? do I need to wrap the bars with tape to get stronger clamping strength? Is there something in the earlier throttle housing that the later models don't have?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Mario
tz375
Moto GP

Re: GT750 CV TO VM CONVERSION

Post by tz375 »

You could split the throttle housing and file a small amount off the split so that it tightens better. Better to get a 72/72 single pull throttle though - IIRC the drum is larger so allows less rotation to fully open the carbs and if you are using larger than 32/34 you will need an aftermarket throttle housing. Otherwise it would be hard to get them fully open
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I used a Tommaselli quick-turn on mine.
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
wolfgangh
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by wolfgangh »

I am using VM34 on my BIMOTA kettle with a Kawasaki Z900 throttle control / switch gear, and the original 72 GT750 cable splitter. The force required to open the slides is considerable, it is quite demanding, much stronger as with the VM carbs. How was this adressed with the early VM32 carbs in ´72 kettles?
wolfgangh
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by wolfgangh »

I am using VM34 on my BIMOTA kettle with a Kawasaki Z900 throttle control / switch gear, and the original 72 GT750 cable splitter. The force required to open the slides is considerable, it is quite demanding, much stronger as with the VM carbs. How was this adressed with the early VM32 carbs in ´72 kettles?
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

I noticed similar on my GT380. Very tough springs on the carbs. Was thinking of putting an assisting spring on the lever.