T500 top end noise

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Exnatalia
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

T500 top end noise

Post by Exnatalia »

Recently acquired a 1975 T500. The previous owner had pulled engine apart and check everything and replaced oil seals. Said pistons and wrist pins seems to be in good order. It starts great and runs well with good power (25 miles so far). However there is a very noticeable clatter or rattle from left cylinder. Using a mechanics rod stethoscope found no lower end noise by the loudest is when the rod is held on the head close to the spark plug; discernibly louder. On switching engine off you hear two pings similar in my experience of T500 with 'normal' ring rattle.

Any suggestions, small end bearing going out or just ring rattle? Otherwise bike goes like a bomb even when two up.

Thanks
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: T500 top end noise

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi
I had similar problem turned out to be piston slap this is what it sounded like
https://youtu.be/WAYLOfNntcA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A rebore sorted it
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Indy650
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '74 GT250

Post by Indy650 »

Yes I agree with GTandCBR it could be piston slap from a wore out piston/bore. I would start by pulling the head and check the piston to cylinder wall clearance. A way to check for piston slap is to get the piston in question close to top dead center and then push the kickstart with your hand slowly as it reaches tdc you'll hear the piston rock and slap the cylinder as it changes direction. All pistons do it but a trained ear can tell if its excessive by how loud it is. It could also be the wrist pin bearing(small end) but that will usually resonate around the entire cylinder area with a stethoscope.
Exnatalia
On the street

Post by Exnatalia »

Thanks for the inputs. I will do as you suggest. I just acquired a warehouse of Suzuki
parts including two big boxes of new pistons and 20 used T500 Engines, amongst a lot of other stuff. Still trying to sort it all out so once complete will pull out the parts i need and get a rebore!
Thanks again.
GT500-2stroke
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT100, GT500

Post by GT500-2stroke »

GTandcbr wrote:Hi
I had similar problem turned out to be piston slap this is what it sounded like
https://youtu.be/WAYLOfNntcA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A rebore sorted it
I am looking for a reasonably priced rebore service provider ( preferably local )
How much did rebore cost?
Where did you get it done?
Few local repair shops that I called said they cannot rebore this bike ( 1972 T350 ), so I am exploring my options..
Exnatalia
On the street

Post by Exnatalia »

Was piston slap!